What is this mysterious massive container that washed up on a Florida beach?

At which point it’ll float back in again, just like it did this time.
Don’t they have oxy-cutters available to them? Surely there’s got to be someone handy who would do something with a few tonnes of scrap steel they can recycle?

1 Like

"What is this mysterious massive container that washed up on a Florida beach?"

The question kinda answers itself…

Well. Technically, it CAN be cut up; but you have to not mind the explosions.

Google for exploding oil drums to see why you really don’t want to cut up a metal object if you don’t know what’s in it.

1 Like
1 Like

Yeah, fill it with lots of vials of translucent green liquid. No, that’s not really what plutonium looks like, but it’s what Hollywood seems to think it does.

2 Likes

I’m somewhat bemused by the awe of the newscasters over this demonstration of the power of the ocean. So it pushed a (probably) semi-buoyant container that might weight a few tons empty? Come on folks, you’re in Florida, certainly you’ve seen a hurricane before. This is just normal currents and tides.

4 Likes

9 Likes

Lil’ tiny Rama.

6 Likes

I was going somewhere with this but @Trogdor beat me to it…

1 Like

Maybe it’s an Irish dumpster and the south eastern US has set up an international exchange program?
https://abc11.com/myrtle-beach-trash-can-ireland-county-mayo-south-carolina/11213169/

I concur. And more specifically, egg masses.

8 Likes

If only someone would build some sort of circular cutting wheel rimmed with diamond shards spinning at incredible speed machine what could cut metal with…

3 Likes

Easier to rendezvous with.

2 Likes

Yep. At first glance I thought is was a very large loaf of bread.

2 Likes

10 Likes

— So what do you do to preserve the environment in cases like this one?
— Well, the ship was towed outside the environment.
— Into another environment.
— No no no, it’s been towed beyond the environment. It’s not in the environment.
— No, but from one environment to another environment.
— No, it’s beyond the environment. It’s not in an environment. It has been towed beyond the environment.
— But what’s out there?
— Well, nothing’s out there.
— There must be something out there.
— There is nothing out there. All there is is sea and birds and fish.
— And?
— And twenty thousand tonnes of crude oil.

4 Likes

square grouper meet cubic grouper
:wink:

4 Likes

Let me get back to you on that - we’re searching.

4 Likes

Been scrapping metal for several days over the past few weeks. Mostly #1 and #2 unprepared steel, appliances with the electric motors pulled, water heaters, lawnmowers. Small truck, small payouts ($50-90 US).

First thing I thought when I saw that beached ferrous metal was: scrap it!

7 Likes

Heptapod Escape Capsule

Considering that I once stood on a sidewalk and watched this very same news outlet ooooh and ahhhhh over some palm fronds that were tossed on the ground by an EF0 tornado :clown_face: - I’m not surprised that they are also mightily impressed with a mysterious random pontoon thingie that washed ashore.

Stuff like this washes ashore a couple of times a year here, someone will come along and sell it for salvage before long.

It won’t get tossed out at sea either. That would make it akin to a turd in a pool that keeps floating over to the steps. No one wants that.

5 Likes