What is this mystery beast photographed in Maine?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/26/what-is-this-mystery-beast-photographed-in-maine.html

7 Likes

In Maine? No way!

15 Likes

looks porcupine-y to me. :man_shrugging:

11 Likes

A fur bearing mammal of some sort. My educated guess of the day, but not my last.

10 Likes

It’s a baby sasquatch

13 Likes

Yep, or possibly a beaver. Black and white night trail cam makes it look weird, but a porcupine seems most likely. Maine isn’t know for it’s chupacabras population, though it does have it’s fair share of undead cats and dogs (thanks to Stephen King).

16 Likes

That’s my brother-in-law. We’ve been wondering where he got to. They can keep him, honestly.

12 Likes

Stephen King was merely reporting the facts

10 Likes

It looks like a fisher to me. I see a couple a year. They are around.

12 Likes

Looks like a wombat to me. . .

Invasive species!

4 Likes

It can’t be El chupacabras, because in Maine they have “Eh chuppah-cah-braahs”. Yuh?

7 Likes

Portland, ME is home to the Museum of Cryptozoology, which does have some Chupacabra evidence as part of it’s exhibits:

Apparently the truth is out there…in the museum.

5 Likes

Maybe some distant cousin of a pukwudgie, or maybe they migrated over the past few hundred years.

3 Likes

It’s a Beaver

3 Likes

Its Stephen King!

8 Likes

That’s a juvenile Eastern Chimera. Or it could be the the brown phase of a North American Hircocervus. Although it might be a rare sighting of a Long-Tailed Sunekosuri, come to think of it.

4 Likes

An anagram of “squash cat” - but I think the picture was not one such.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s pretty clearly a porcupine. When they’re young or if they leave all their quills stuck in some body they look just like that.

7 Likes

Beaver with prostate issues.

2 Likes

You got it!
It’s been going around my “Maine Master Naturalist” circles and there’s not really any question.

Those buggers are so cute. We get a lot of them around here.
And any time they come up, I feel the need to mention that the babies are called “porcupettes.”

11 Likes