New freaky photo of Hudson River's mysterious monster

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/19/new-freaky-photo-of-hudson-rivers-mysterious-monster.html

7 Likes

Actually, this is Nessie. She’s on vacation.

14 Likes

unworthy one sez: “Fata Morgana” (mostly because it’s fun to say)

that is, maybe it’s just your ordinary run of the mill commonplace everyday mirage?

3 Likes

Sturgeon

8 Likes

Uh, David, Lake Champlain is nowhere near Michigan…

5 Likes

Always a photo and never a video. Do people not realize that their phones can capture video nowadays?

Loch Ness Monster Scotland GIF

16 Likes

And is connected to the Hudson River, so if this “monster” is real, it could literally be Champ.

7 Likes

Ah yes, was thinking of the Lake Michigan monster. Thanks for pointing out the error, Flanker7. And updated my post with the comment about it being Champ with credit to you, danimagoo!

8 Likes

But ew, what’s that weird thing attached to its tail?!!

Perhaps it’s a dromedary?

Dromedaryzoopedia

3 Likes

4 Likes

I rest my case…

Capybaras Swimming

11 Likes

Jennifer Lopez No GIF by NETFLIX

2 Likes

It would be kind of neat if “we have a giant, maybe century-old sturgeon living here, see if you can spot her” could attract the same kind attention as “someone once saw a monster!” What better monsters do people want than sturgeons and oarfish?

4 Likes

It’s kind of charming that well into the 21st century, mythological critters will still only deign to be photographed with the same clarity of a 1960s Bigfoot movie or a 1930s Loch Ness snap.

2 Likes

Wait, there’s a Lake Michigan monster?

Scared Season 1 GIF

4 Likes

I paddle the Hudson all the time and see stuff like this on the water. It’s almost always driftwood, but sometimes it sure looks like a… thing.

1 Like

Interviewer Well, now tell me, what do you do when you spot a camel?
Spotter Er, I take its number.
Interviewer Camels don’t have numbers.
Spotter Ah, well you’ve got to know where to look. Er, they’re on the side of the engine above the piston box.
Interviewer What?
Spotter Ah - of course you’ve got to make sure it’s not a dromedary. 'Cos if it’s a dromedary it goes in the dromedary book.
Interviewer Well how do you tell if it’s a dromedary?
Spotter Ah well, a dromedary has one hump and a camel has a refreshment car, buffet, and ticket collector.

4 Likes

Every lake has one.

2 Likes

2 Likes