What makes a great cup of coffee

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/28/what-makes-a-great-cup-of-coffee.html

5 Likes

You have to say it. Saying the words makes it taste better.

Twin Peaks Coffee GIF by Twin Peaks on Showtime

26 Likes

And before saying it spit out the first sip?

8 Likes

anigif_enhanced-18726-1440684578-6

11 Likes

pulp-fiction

12 Likes

Personally, I prefer bone china, but glazed earthenware and porcelain can also make great coffee cups.

ETA: I forgot about stoneware. Stoneware is also acceptable. Embarrassing omission for an archaeologist who mainly works with ceramics.

That said, I am also partial to a banged-up enameled cup, especially in the field or on a hike.

14 Likes

Behold the bearer of my lifeblood. I got snobby enough about my coffee that i couldn’t stand the swill they make at the office. Maybe not classy, but it works!

27 Likes

We were Aeropress users for years until recently, when Mrs. Villain got tired of some of the more fidgety and messy aspects one must engage with after brewing.

We’re using a chemex these days. Though I don’t think it’s got as much “body” as coffee from the ‘press, it’s still delightful.

Personally, I find that most coffee is good. I can enjoy a cup from the gas station almost as much as a hand-pulled americano. Mmmmmm, coffee!

3 Likes

I think one of the nice things about James Hoffmann is that he seems to maintain a kind of anti-snobbery about coffee. He might review $3000 grinders or $20000 espresso machines and get into nerdy details, but also just wants people to enjoy their coffee however they want. Lance Hedrick too.

I feel like that kind of attitude has spread over the past few years to places (like /r/espresso, say) that used to be pretty elitist and gatekeepy.

But maybe that’s just my take (and I kindof stopped visiting reddit/forums in general a while ago).

4 Likes

A great cup of coffee is one that’s in front of me, right now!

16 Likes

Quirks of the language that we native English speakers never think about. “A cup of coffee” usually means a container full of coffee ready to drink, “a coffee cup”, or just “a cup” means the container designed for coffee or other beverage, and “a cup” can mean a volume measure of approximately 250 ml.

4 Likes

Interesting, I found a chemex to be more fussy with the cleanup than aeropress. From lifting out the drippy filter to trying to clean the odd curvature of the vessel, I much prefer just popping the puck of coffee grounds into the compost and giving the inside a quick wash.

They’re all good, so long as they get coffee into me. I’ve become less of a purist slot coffee as I age.

3 Likes

I put some powered calcium in my coffee grounds.

Good for balancing the acidity- and for my bones!

9 Likes

I think the biggest issue was that unscrewing the basket after brewing was tough on her hands.

Either way, yeah, just gimme the java and nobody gets “hurt.” :crazy_face:

3 Likes

“Kaffee Togo - Jetzt auch zum Mitnehmen!”

1 Like

I love that cup! :rofl:

4 Likes

Gifted by a nurse practitioner student who worked with me for a couple months. She said, and I quote, “It seems like you need this.” :rofl:

13 Likes

I know. I was joking. I just have ceramics on my mind

ETA: re-reading this, it sounds a bit dismissive. I do appreciate your information, but in this case it was actually a deliberate comedic choice to misunderstand the headline

3 Likes

There’s a song in this…

2 Likes

Deja vu:

I will take this opportunity to once again post one of my favorite quotes from the old The Order of the Stick prequel book:

Previously seen here:

5 Likes