'What the f*ck' — Elon Musk coronavirus meltdown on Tesla earnings call, 'Give people back their god damn freedom'

And this is one of the many reasons why I hate libertarians

5 Likes

Not permitted under the constitution, as he is not a natural-born citizen.

2 Likes

wrybread - thanks for arguing your points with such composure and self-restraint. I agree with you.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with you about Jobs’ personality… but didn’t they bring him back so that Apple could survive? I’m pretty sure he died of pancreatic cancer and wasn’t “removed in order for Apple to survive”.

1 Like

Steve Jobs Mk 1 was kicked out of Apple in 1985 shortly after the launch of the Mac because he refused to work with the board of the company and was causing all sorts of trouble.

The company did very well without him for a good number of years. By the time he was brought back, it was Steve Jobs Mk2 with a reduced (although still sizeable) capacity for assholery.

5 Likes

I would say it was the BEVs that got popular early, like the Volt and the Leaf. Or even the hybrids like the Prius, which has still probably displaced more petrol consumption than all BEVs combined. Musk is just a very successful bandwagon rider.

5 Likes

Aw, poor Elon. It must be so hard for him. Ass.

2 Likes

I keep telling you, it’s the hair transplants.

3 Likes

thanks. i thought that would be the first comment!

1 Like

“… pulled this country”? Did he self-interrupt with his “what the fuck?” before completing that thought?

I wonder what he was going to say? “… out of the dark ages”?

Like a modern day Thomas Edison. What a guy.

One may be able to argue that the pandemic has done more to slow down climate change than Elon Musk ever has or will. Maybe that’s what has his knickers scrunched up? A fear that people will realize the best way forward isn’t necessarily his overpriced electric cars, but fewer cars and unnecessary traveling.

15 Likes

Perhaps Musk is angry that car factories in Europe are already preparing to restart production with safety precautions.

4 Likes

it has be written …

2 Likes

Oh I dunno, Musk may be a typical self-important billionaire type, but he:

• is actually intelligent and can read, understands how science and engineering work

• believes in climate change and has frankly done an awful lot to support those convictions, e.g. starting the first mass market all-electric vehicle company, also has a solar company that got folded in, battery tech — a lot of stuff that is actually helpful to the world

• can be quite the ass, but I do believe Musk is capable of empathy, and actually encourages humans to strive for better futures and to think our way out of problems. Better than the guy in charge now who wantonly encourages people to be the absolute worst versions of themselves.

Yeah, I’d definitely still take Musk. I also don’t think he’s in the pocket of the Russians and other sketchy forces to the same degree Trump is.

3 Likes

He paid for the right to call himself a founder of Tesla. He didn’t actually found Tesla.

5 Likes

You know, whatever is on the paperwork, I’m still going to give him credit for building it into what it is today — along with the team of course, which he has assembled.

You? You do you.

This one I find puzzling. Tesla wasn’t the fist mass-market electric vehicle company, not by a longshot, just maybe the first one that didn’t sell anything else. How is that praiseworthy? And did Musk therefore become less praiseworthy when he diversified?

4 Likes

He understands how rockets work. Not diseases, though, apparently, and he’s seemingly disinclined to believe anything scientists have to say on the subject. Having “proven them wrong” when it comes to reusable launch vehicles, Musk now seems to be deeply in “I know better than the experts” Dunning-Kreuger territory everywhere else as well.

That’s not good.

5 Likes

Based on his twitter account, a hard no on all counts.

5 Likes

Well, the entire point was in comparison with Donald Trump. It’s not a real choice we get to make – some of you seem very, very invested in a silly hypothetical discussion, however, so I’ll leave you all to it.

1 Like

Maybe we have different definitions of mass market electric vehicle company – what others did I miss over the past couple decades? Mass market being the emphasis of course – let’s call it tens of thousands of vehicles produced and sold per year.