What Trump's treatment of refugees tells you about his plans for Americans

Is it just me, or is that a lot of area that would normally vote Blue?

12 Likes

Given what’s in the gun policy section of Mike Pence’s Wikipedia page and the fact that if Trump gets impeached he gets promoted, “government agencies with guns” is likely to be “soon-to-be-President Pence” and it’s obvious which side he’d support. The real question is who would the Secret Service support: an impeached President or the Vice President?

2 Likes

Nearly two-thirds of the populace.

6 Likes

Damn coastal elites!

11 Likes

Could be most of the populace if they take a more generous interpretation and decide that 100 miles around international airports counts as well.

3 Likes

I went through one. A work friend, his high school friend, and I went to Big Bend National Park. A long (but worth it) drive from Austin.

I was all ready to not answer any questions – civil disobedience type thing. But it all happened so fast I didn’t have a chance. “Y’all citizens?” “Yup.” “Ok take care, drive safe!”. A few months earlier Indian coworkers (Asia Indian not Native American Indian) didn’t have the same experience. Being brown, the agents were a bit more suspicious. Not knowing their rights and not wanting to make waves, which is exactly how I’d feel in their shoes, they ended up showing their passports, visas, everything.

As vehemently as I opposed this unconstitutional checkpoint, today I see value I did not see back in April. There is no wall in Big Bend. Anyone willing to risk their lives trekking through the desert can wade or swim or boat across the Rio Grande. I took a rowboat there and waded across on the way back, to say I did. I have a thing for walking across borders. Now … once you’re in the US looking across the river at Mexico there’s nowhere for an illegal immingrany to go, really And this checkpoint makes sure that hundreds of miles of border can basically be left alone. The alternative, I’m seeing, to this checkpoint is a massive concrete wall that parallels the 116 miles of river that goes through Big Bend National Park. I’ll take the checkpoint, I guess.

2 Likes

I have read that the “100 mile border zone” also includes 100 miles around every US international airport.

eta You covered that already!

2 Likes

I would already advise foreign friends that this is no longer a safe place. (Not just for them, of course, but moving here now would be kind of like moving into a house that’s already on fire, even if it’s just a relatively small part of it right now, the whole thing’s going to be a conflagration soon enough.)

3 Likes

And he smells bad and cheats at solitaire.

But mostly it’s the stupid and selfish and horrible part.

1 Like

And that no one respects women more than he does.

I agree: he’s hilarious.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.