What we know about explosive devices sent to Democratic targets

I wouldn’t take black powder in a pressure-containing shell lightly. As the pressure increases, the black powder burns faster until the container ruptures. With bits of pipe and other shrapnel, it could be very lethal to someone in the same room.

12 Likes

Lol I lurk a lot and somehow I have missed this!

5 Likes

*chucklez

It’s only been for the last year or two, and it doesn’t come up very often…

7 Likes

41 Likes

Well, they were not camouflaged in any way, and were sent to people who do not open their own mail. What has not been released is what was supposed to set them off. There were timers stuck to them, but I have not seen any info on whether they were set, or what sort of detonator is involved, if any. I did read that they were made of PVC instead of iron pipe, and included sulfur and broken glass.
If nothing else, these are atypical, and hopefully their uniqueness will lead to a quick arrest and conviction.

2 Likes

So, just an idiot or an idiot with a plan involving future deliveries with more lethal outcomes.
I sure hope the former.

2 Likes

They could also be real bombs that were never intended to go off, or deliberately not triggered.

Which is a pretty fucked way to send a threat.

There’s your answer.

And the only direct quotes we have on content are black powder “explosive substance containing sulfer”. There’s very little reason to include either in a hoax because they aren’t neccisary to make a plausible non-bomb. That could explode even if you didn’t want to. And they increase the chances of detection.

Unless the goal was specifically to fuck with investigators.

That said 10 bombs. Not one explosion. That’s weird. Either some really shit bombs or something else is going on.

The bombs appear to be built out of PVC pipe. It’ll contain pressure, but not nearly as much as something like a pressure cooker. Or metal pipe.

Apparently “sources” are “reporting” that at lease 2 of the bombs weren’t “wired to detonate when opened”.

I’ve a caught of officials saying exactly that. That the bombs aren’t just a standard plan. Also that they’re not very well put together.

3 Likes

TMI   

7 Likes

I have a cough drop in my mouth; extra moisture.

8 Likes

The “timer” is just a clock, with no alarm function.

Hm. That’s weird. I can’t imagine that working well at all. PVC would likely crack/melt early and you’d only get a flare of black powder.

It’s hard to make out what’s under that tape or plastic, and the end caps look odd.

1 Like

I’ve seen it done! More of a giant fire cracker than a bomb, but it’ll make an explosion. PVC pipe is surprisingly durable.

The news has been repeatedly reporting that at least some of them were PVC. And speculating as to why.

2 Likes

Obligs:

4 Likes

Is anyone else tired of being censored because of our dewy skin and glossy hair? It’s time to reclaim the word “mоist” from the wizened grasp of the dry oppressors! Who’s with me?

Say it loud, mоist and proud!

Mоist, mоist, MOlST!

9 Likes

I’m tired of digging through the thesaurus when I talk about baking. But I’d be sorry to lose the confusion. Maybe the powers that be can pick a different word to censor and see how long it takes for us to figure it out.

3 Likes

I don’t know anything about bomb making, but the slightest bit about plumbing - schedule 40 pvc can hold several hundred psi. I wouldn’t want that fragmenting in a room with me.

These are, so far, not as deadly as the Mark Conditt (southern white conservative terrorist bomber) bombs, but clearly more effective in catching the nation’s attention.

3 Likes

6 Likes

The #MAGAbomber could also be probing the postal system with prototypes to see how the packages are handled, in preparation for a round 2.

1 Like

6 Likes

Ceci n’est pas une pipe-bomb.

4 Likes