What we know about explosive devices sent to Democratic targets

Not to mention the fact that Mr. VonLipwig can’t even use his own name.

10 Likes

“Acquire”, hell, you can.find the recipe to make it in thousands of books in any reasonably well-stocked public library.

“■■■■■”? “Poor”? “Homeless”?

Oh, by the Gods Below…! My blocked word starts with ‘m’ and ends with ‘t’ and refers to a quality of having an agreeable degree of liquid saturation. Since when did THAT word deserve to be censored?!?

So, this is all just a really overdramatic way to put a single bullet in the recipients’ mailboxes as a form of intimidation? I mean, given the average intelligence level demonstrated by every MAGA hat wearer, including Two-Scoops his-own-self, I’m prepared to believe that this is all the work of one or two really OCD idiots. But I also expect that the investigators will find their way to the suspect(s) house and it explodes just before they arrive. And golly gee, they’ll find human remains inside that match, somewhat, the descriptions of the suspects.

11 Likes

Well, I suspect that the bomber was hoping to injure or kill staffers, and to make not just the addressee but all Enemies of Dear Leader paranoid. But it’s the fear that is the goal. Intimidation. Think less “putting a bullet in the mailbox” as “firing a shot at a living room window”.

As for the idea of a suspect dying in a fiery blast, well, the Austin bomber did kill himself with one of his own bombs when cornered by the cops. So it isn’t inconceivable, but patterns suggest that he will most likely be arrested, and soon.

2 Likes

My hunch is that the wannabe bomber didn’t think about testing the construction first. Which either indicates that actual explosion was only a perk, or that the original test was too ideal a situation, or that the bomb was never tested—either afraid a test would draw suspicion or because he was too sure the bomb would work.

2 Likes

Well the internets identified that based on a single photo of a single device. We don’t really know for sure that its a precise model without the ability to detonate a bomb. Or even how the bomb is meant to be detonated. There are commercial detonators that use pull strings and compression rather than electricity. And an alarm/timer may not be neccissary to use an electronic doodad to set off a bomb.

This post:

Has an xray of one of them (most of the photos seem to be from the cnn device). The detonator appears to be a spiral of wire. So its not like its a commercial electric detonator that needs a short electric pulse to go off. This also explains the 2 wires one at either end.

True but when I was young my dad made a series of scuba diving torches out of PVC pipe and motorbike electrical components. They were tested to about 1000 feet external pressure. When charged, one torch accumulated a large amount of oxygen and hydrogen. When I turned it on, the torch exploded and I was lucky it didn’t kill me. Some substantial parts were never found. You can turn plastic plumbing components into a bomb and you don’t need black powder to do the job. Water and electricity are perfectly fine.

2 Likes

Most likely whoever put these bombs together wanted to only buy parts that would not raise suspicion. Probably fancied that by doing so, he would remain anonymous and avoid detection. I would not put it past the bomb builder to have used a honeypot design, by the way: a plan for building a bomb that has intentional flaws in it.

3 Likes

Why are you even discussing the question if this stuff would be a bomb or not? Gunpowder would catch fire, and a deflagration can cause much damage to everyone holding the devices. Even if no-one would hold them, the deflagration could still set more stuff on fire.

It might be better to call it IDD instead of IED, then, but seriously: I would not care if I were the target, or a bystander.

1 Like

Probably nichrome wire like in a model rocket igniter.

1 Like

Fireworks are usually made of flash powder and paper. I assume the PVC was about weight. If the devices were not meant to really detonate, the details of the casing would not matter.

It is relevant. Understanding the construction of the devices is a key part to understanding the motives of the perpetrator. And those of us with a tech or military background are interested in how such things function. Discussing the technical aspects of the devices does not detract from strongly wanting the perpetrator to face justice.

1 Like

Could be. Heat can set off black powder. So could smolderomg/burning wire.

But copper wire coiled like that, sans insulation could arch. And that spark could easily set off black powder. Which is why I’m not too concerned about the clock. Even with an actual detonator all you need to do is send electric current through the thing to set it off. With this you don’t even need a sepecific current. Just because its a clock doesn’t mean a time trigger. And I don’t think there’s any reason that thing couldn’t throw off some electricity just because it doesn’t have a timer/alarm fuction (if that’s the case).

We still don’t have any reports on how these were meant to be triggered (if they were meant to be triggered). Except annonymous sources saying some of them weren’t meant to be triggered by opening the package.

I think this is was puzzling me, since to me at least one of the motives is clear, since no-one goes through lengths to construct a device containing gunpowder and sending it to people without considering the possibility that it might hurt people, and even kill them.

Thus I wonder why so many people in this topic seem to be interested if a PVC pipe would be enough to make this device more dangerous.

Anyway, that’s just me. And I do understand why this shit is fascinating people and attracting much attention of all kinds.

Fuck this shit. I hope no-one gets hurt.

6 Likes

Today saying the construction is “consistent with internet construction plans.” Another example of the internet being a shitty source of knowledge, only in this case that is a good thing.

1 Like

Reading the rest of the thread helps, sometimes.

2 Likes

Dunning-Kruger strikes again!

4 Likes

I’m just shocked that they didn’t have as many stickers as his van.

1 Like