What would a new US civil war be like?

I’d have to disagree when it comes to the military.

2 Likes

A strong majority of military voters went Trump.

But see my post upthread re: division in the military.

I’ve tried to point this out as a retired service member on here before, but get shouted down that I don’t know what I am talking about. The US Military is not filled with authoritarian extremists. But what do I know…my spouse and I only spent 16 years in the military.

4 Likes

You can say anything with statistics. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow, there’s so much half-truth in here I don’t know where to begin, but thanks for joining to let us know what’s on your mind!

I don’t have time to respond point by point but I’m sure somebody will soon. :slight_smile:

Lots of posts here about urban vs. rural, no one seems to have posted these maps yet.

6 Likes

I wonder what it would look like today after 9 months of his insanity. I have family members who voted for him, and they consistently said PRIOR to the election it was how they didn’t trust Clinton or lifelong politicians (typical reasoning we all heard)…today, those same family members are FAR LESS vocal about supporting him. Some have openly stated they made a mistake. So I wonder if the vote were held today would it look like this?

5 Likes

This is America. Everyone has guns. Not everyone shouts it from the rooftops or cosplays like some tarted up weekend warrior.

In right-wing echo chambers, there is a persistent myth that people who vote democratic, or who they brand “libtards” are afraid of guns, therefore, don’t own guns. These people live in a very distorted alternate reality.

4 Likes

I’ll keep that in mind. :thinking:

They’ll probably all be happy with President Pence though.

1 Like

Got a version of that scaled for population?

7 Likes

and it isn’t like those guys are not trained as everyone learns to be a forward rifleman before getting any training for the support roles.

4 Likes

I see a Phoenix.

3 Likes

I sure hope there aren’t any ashes to rise from any time soon.

3 Likes

So Butler’s Parable of the Sower, more or less.

4 Likes

Ooh, nice callback!

1 Like

It’s certainly moving that way if you want to think in terms of manufacturing, but most trade in the world runs through the US economy. It’s US banks and US businesses that are either putting up money, or the ones managing foreign capital. One day, if the US fails to provide value to the world, we’ll see only a fraction of the world trade flowing through the US.

2 Likes

And think about the american troops around the globe. In an event of civil war, these troops would be called back home. A sudden move that could change the balance of power in some regions. Allies could be very upset and the enemies of the USA could be very, very happy. Again, a lot of good people could be in the middle of the crossfire.

1 Like

Why? 

2 Likes

I have a few “gunnie” friends and I listen while they go on and on about their latest loads, grips, sights etc. It’s amusing and then they sometimes ask why I don’t go out shooting with them. What I don’t tell them is that I don’t derive entertainment from making loud noises and breaking things. I have a pistol and a rifle hidden away with ammo refreshed every year or so if I should ever need them. I learned how to shoot very well as a child but it’s not something one forgets and not something I care to spend my time on. Horses for courses and all that but I’d be much more concerned about somebody like me carrying a firearm than the rabble we see on the news because it’s not a toy, if I have it out it’s because I intend to use it!

3 Likes