What would a new US civil war be like?

These states (and ones north and west of them in flyover country) get a lot of their tax subsidies via BigAg. The small towns would probably be bulldozed for more GMO monocrpping. I’m sure some chemical company C-level is already dreaming about making whole states into corporate-owned feed lots.

3 Likes

That’s a whole heck of a lot of speculation you have going there. Also sounds like a thinly veiled threat at the end, which is what I flagged it for. Welcome to the community!

14 Likes

Take your own advice…

19 Likes

brienne-ugh-shit

12 Likes

There’s one set of groups that people always overlook in these analysis – the large gangs. They are well armed, they have supply lines, they have money, and increasingly have actual military experience, not just the play-time a lot of the militias have. They have intelligence networks and OPSEC experience. They understand urban warfare, again, probably better than any of the RW militias.

They would definitely play a role in any US civil conflict. Most likely as a confounding factors. I am not saying a group like MS-13 would be the good guys, but they could have a far bigger influence than a lot of people expect, and I doubt they’d be backing the side supporting the Aryan Nation.

In other words, if it comes to it, it will be complicated, messy and ugly in ways that would make the first Civil War almost live up to the term “civil”. It sure as hell isn’t going to be the cake-walk certain hurr-durr ‘we gots all the gunz’ blowhards think it’s going to be. And that’s fucking terrifying.

18 Likes

Somebody needs a hug

7 Likes

Although racism and nazism are concerning issues, I don’t think we are identifying the correct antagonist. And we can’t tackle the problem if we don’t identify it correctly. The way I see it, there aren’t very many politicians publicly espousing racism or people voting for racists. Also, I don’t see nazism being a major protagonist. Not many people running for office as a nazi, and I don’t see many people voting for nazis. The problem as I see it is religion has crossed the invisible line between church and state. I see a bunch of religious people voting for religious politicians in office, installing religious judges, promoting public funding for religious schools through vouchers, and trying to pass laws that favor religion. As far as who they hate, they hate liberals and gays. Liberals and gays are the main ones who have to worry about being ostracized or indoctrinated. The racists and nazis are minor players just taking advantage of the confusion. I see a lot of religious politicians trying to pass laws that control what you can do with your body and who are anti science because it conflicts with their world view. The players are the media who are promoting rational scientific world view and the church who are promoting another worldview.

5 Likes

Good point.
But which side would they be on, other than their own?

BTW, this reminded me of Prof. Groeteschele’s convicts vs file clerks musings in Fail Safe.
(Video is cued.)

(Edited because mispeling.)

That’s an interesting perspective, thanks for joining and sharing it!

3 Likes

Same as roller coasters and scary movies. Doom & gloom is an easy sell.

3 Likes

PMSL. I love how you drongos don’t even know what words mean…

9 Likes

You should look at population in Texas before and after the invention of the air conditioner. Texas is a major player in wind and solar energy and we have our own power grid. We’ll still be able to crank the AC.

2 Likes

Religious people aren’t always regressive or conservative. There are a variety of world views espoused by religious leaders, from modern and entirely compatible with a scientific world view, compatible with a modern human rights regime, compatible with any number of progressive ideals to backwards, regressive, and anti-scientific/modern views. Not all religious people are the same and it really isn’t helpful to conflate SCLC or the Quakers with the Falwells or the anti-choice movement.

Yes, the religious right that’s been politically active since the 1970s are part of the problem, but so are active racists who have taken the GOP dog whistling since the 1960s to heart. It’s more like there is a

The nazi regime was built not on religious ideology, but on pseudoscientific notions of race. Despite the piles of bodies discovered at the end of world war 2 that was a testament to the destructive power of science employed to oppress people, racism never completely went away. After the war, it still took 2 more decades to end Jim Crow, and 40 or so years to end Apartheid in South Africa. The decolonization process of Africa still unfolds today in many ways.

Racism is a systemic, historical, and continuing problem. Until white people face up to that and actively help dismantle it, we’re going to continue to get waves of nazis and racists cropping up in the public square.

12 Likes

10 Likes

You are making some wild assumptions based on general opinions and stereotypes.

As a liberal who served and married a fellow service member (also liberal), your speculations about the military are inaccurate at best.

If you have facts, figures, or data that support your aspersions I am sure we would all be open to listening. Other wise, I concur with @null that all you are doing is making veiled threats within your assumptions and are fear-mongering plain and simple.

9 Likes

What??? We had one running for president and enough people voted for him that (via our weird constitution, republican gerrymandering, and voting restrictions) he won. And he appointed many racist people as advisors and department heads.

I agree that the breakdown between church and state is a real problem, but racism is endemic to the country and is related.

The problem is not just people dislike liberals and gays; the problem is that they are afraid of, angry at, and/or hate anyone who is different from themselves. And since “race” is one of these perceived differences, racism is a huge part of it.

They can call themselves “Nazi” or “white supremacists” or “nice white people who are just ‘concerned about our country.’” The philosophy they are voting for and the politicians that are being elected by them are racist.

7 Likes

Why would there another Civil War since the South won the post-war peace?

Unfortunately the U.S. is already Balknaized. We are divided regionally and will never agree.

1 Like

Welcome to BoingBoing! I recommend you take a few minutes to read some of the other comments on this thread because you clearly missed some important details about all us “liberal tyrants.”

Cheers!

12 Likes

That’s a very pessimistic stance, and does not speak to my experience. Do you get out and mix with people from other communities? You may be surprised.

8 Likes