What you will observe is a vast wasteland

Yes, the lack of a TV will be an issue…

Already had the antenna set up so it was a good solution for us. Haven’t been able to justify a cable bill in twenty years, especially once Netflix came on the scene.

If the dongle doesnt work out CRT TVs can be had for well under $20.

1 Like

No so much the dongle as getting good signal in the first place and I do not want to run cable through the house for it and mounting on the roof means drilling a hole into the house… just bah. Plus the tv tuner dongles are actually pretty cheap. We had great digital reception with the boosted rabbit ears and converter right up till cutover day then just static.
If I could set up an antenna inside that I could hook up to a small transmitter then I could have TV anywhere in the house.

ETA looks doable just not cheap enough to bother right now.

1 Like

I should have finished my post; depending on your area a small grid antenna stuck in the window might work as well as an ariel on the roof.

A small version of this you can hide behind the curtains when not in use.

2 Likes

At this point, calling TV a wasteland is like calling the sun yellow. Yet when I walk around my neighborhood I can’t help spotting all of massive, high-definition displays that dominate people’s living rooms. I don’t know if people are just that into Two Broke Girls, or if they’ve simply lost the ability to entertain themselves any other way.

2 Likes

Might be we grew up and grew bitter. Might be we like these things for nostalgia rather than them being good.

Then again look at samurai jack.

2 Likes

Mr. Minow was apparently a total lightweight.

If this was his position in 1961; can you imagine how quickly he would crack under today’s 24/7 vacuous talking heads offerings?

Mere wastelands just fail to offer any comfort, sustenance, or utility; they don’t actively sap and torment those who dare pass through them.

3 Likes

They could scarcely imagine this other than satire such as 451.

There appears to be something of a glut on the market just now:

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I like Matt Frewer. It’s just weird the writers at Timeless don’t give him anything to do.

It’s one of those situations where you think, well, he’s a major TV actor, so in the middle of the season there will be something dramatic and it will become a more significant role, right?

But then they kill him off instead, and replace him with a similar character who is much younger. Something something demographics I guess.

2 Likes

The local ads we all get I think. Local car dealerships, law offices whatnot, but the drug ads kill me… the amount of advertising y’all get for brand name drugs is so weird to me!

@Mindysan33 - when we road trip MrPants naps in the RV while I food shop. After 4 hours he’ll come find me, and sometimes I’m not even done yet. :slight_smile: I love it so, I learn so much! Did you know there was such a thing as coriander bullion cubes? I found these in New Mexico and OMG so good!

4 Likes

Hadn’t got that far yet.

They kill him off in orphan black and falling skies.
Does he have some sort of sean bean thing going?

He might be putting it in the contracts.

“I’ll do six episodes, then I’m out.”

1 Like

Finest actor ever to be screwed into a suit.

(I mean that sincerely - he convinced everyone that he was actually a computer generated visual in the 80s - the time of the BBC Micro. That was great acting.)

3 Likes

They definitely shoved him head first into the uncanny valley there.

1 Like

Oh my god, NO! That must be a regional thing…

4 Likes

Not sure those are bullion per se. Trader Joe’s has similar with parsley and garlic though frozen and they are pretty handy.

4 Likes

These are dried salty cubes! Exactly like bullion cubes only these are green. What you’re talking about are like tiny herb ice cubes. Also excellent! But these are excellent for camping or RVing, no need for a freezer.

@Mindysan33 if you have a latin market they’ll have them. Excellent to throw one in with rice as it boils! :slight_smile: see why I love regional grocery shopping!

9 Likes

Next time-travel show: Travelers, wherein our heroes arrive in the present from the future, to prevent various disasters or something. At this point we might call it a traditional La Jetée story, inasmuch as this is at least the fourth TV series I can think of with this premise.

Am only up to the second episode so far.

It likes super-wide-angle camera shots, to the point of surrealism.

1 Like

Stumbled into back to back episodes of The Addams Family today. Where is this wasteland of which this man spoke?

8 Likes