What you've been waiting for: John Oliver destroys Brett Kavanaugh

Ahhhhh!!! My eyes are burning.

Thank you. I am so sick of that bullshit headline.

Hey, some comedian just tweeted a sick burn! Well, that’s enough then.

Edit: Don’t get me wrong, I love what John Oliver does, and I think it’s important, but those gross, pathetic headlines, filled with sad adolescent posturing make me so sick in my stomach that I couldn’t even bring myself to watch the video.

3 Likes

It’s not a millennial term, nor is it recent; it’s slang that’s been in usage in the Black community for quite some time now.

9 Likes

use ad block: https://streamango.com/embed/oprpkkbcnpabrcfn/

You dont think Obama would have installed someone the Right would have found as or more odious?
Do you really think Kavanaugh is the worst Trump could come up with? He is really pretty mild and you know it.
Do you get all red faced over what Bill C got up to?

No because this is all about sticking it to the man T.
Which Im absolutely fine with by the way I just wish people were more honest.

He believes birth control of any kind equates to abortions. He believes women don’t have a privacy right to their body. That’s extreme.

19 Likes

I’m sure they would have taken issue with the nominee’s ideological orientation. What we’re seeing here is the White House putting forward someone who’s lying and who doesn’t display the kind of “calm and collected and rational” judicial temperament that conservatives usually reserve for white middle-aged male nominees.

Somehow modern Dem Presidents never end up nominating the likes of Clarence Thomas or Harriet Miers.

The Federalist Society came up with him. Per the person from that organisation featured in the piece, Kavanaugh is simply where the dart Il Douche threw landed.

Not on issues like reproductive rights. But in terms of demeanour a guy who seems to throw beers and punches at people well into adulthood doesn’t meet any reasonable definition of “mild.”

This is all about making sure someone unsuited to the bench doesn’t get get a lifetime sinecure on the highest court in the land.

17 Likes

He literally put forward a man that multiple Republican senators said would be a quality consensus pick. But as soon as Garland was nominated, he suddenly became a pariah. Republicans would have refused to seat Kavanaugh if he’d been nominated by Obama, simply because they refuse to acknowledge Democratic administrations as legitimate.

12 Likes

Republicans vehemently opposed Obama’s nomination because Obama nominated him. The Dems are opposing Brett Kavanaugh not because Trump nominated him…but because Brett Kavanaugh is wholly unqualified to be on the Supreme Court!!!

13 Likes

Thanks for that. I was looking for it, but I misremembered it as being Jon Stewart and couldn’t find it.

1 Like

An awful lot of “millenial” and “hipster” slang is just black slang that just crossed over to the broader culture thanks to social media. And older journalists just happened to notice this week.

Unlikely. Democrats have traditionally appointed non-partisan, independant judges with respectable, usually main stream academic and legal histories. Even when appointing decided leftists. There have been repeated historic and legal academic studies demonstrating that.

And I don’t recall any of them facing multiple credible accusations of sexual assault.

They may have acted like a pick was just as odeous. But that’s been the GOP’s default reaction to Obama. Every action is radical left wing over reach. You can tell it’s disengenous because none of those same concerns are aired over Trump’s actual over reach and misdeeds.

But more telling is their reaction to Garland. Obama appointed him. And the complaint wasn’t how dangerous and wrong and unacceptablr he was. It was a fiction about voters having a voice. And just how close (100 days, 100 fucking days is not close) the election was. They pulled completely unprecidented procedural nonsense to avoid even discussing the guy. Their complaints were not about his suitability for the job, or legal positions, or his history. Their claimed opposition was all about timing and process (a process they altered, something they’ve also done here).

That’s a bullshit arguement. Obama made 3 appointments. 2 passed without controversy with bipartisan support. The 3rd was prevented from even getting hearings. Because he would have passed without controversy with bipartisan support.

7 Likes

There were 238 days between his nomination and the election, actually.

9 Likes

Here’s some rather telling comments about Garland and shows how hypocritical L Graham and the repubs are.

Edited to add: BK’s lies

8 Likes

My theory is that he likes Kavanaugh’s stated view that a sitting president can’t be investigated. It’s less about the abortion/social issues, and more about that (although the social issues are driving much of the rest of the GOP).

14 Likes

This is a phenomenon that has been with us since the jazz age. See Norman Mailer’s White Negro article for example.

6 Likes

My 5 year old is wholly unqualified to be on the Supreme Court. Brett is a sitting federal judge. He has some qualifications.

The problem isn’t his qualifications, it is that he’s a partisan ideologue that has been telling baldfaced lies to the Senate.

If he had come out and said that yeah, of course he was banging chicks left and right in high school and later in his frat I would have respected him slightly. Coming out and telling me that he engaged in all of the dudebro prep school frat boy shenanigans but stayed a virgin even though his calendar was full of hookups with girls and explicit sex acts is just insulting me to my face. I don’t really care how many hookup he had or how much beer he drank in college. I do care about the lies and coverup. I also care about the attempted rape, but that’s a whole other issue.

I think if his nomination does go down it won’t be because of the rape claims (unless the FBI pulls a rabbit out of its hat those are purely he-said she-said and so long ago that the case is ice cold), but because of the lies that we can prove today. The only thing that has a chance to overcome partisanship is senators getting miffed at being lied to.

3 Likes

But again, I just LOVE it when someone outside my community deigns to ‘educate’ me on it.

9 Likes

That makes him WHOLLY UNQUALIFIED to be on the supreme court. A SCJ by definition is non-partisan.

6 Likes

I wish Oliver had brought this up…

7 Likes

Goes back quite a bit further than that. Yiu poke mass culture with a stick and the bulk of it has always risen from the bottom of the socio-ecconomic ladder. In the US that’s usually meant blacks and immigrants.