Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

Season 2 of the promised Neverland is shite. This article covers it.

That said season 1 was great so do watch that and then stop.
My children have moved on to Danganronpa now.

1 Like

I feel like I have to watch the whole Alex Toth Cinematic Universe now to understand what’s going on

1 Like

Faces of Death was a notable cultural phenomenon of its era and thus is a ripe target for “hey let’s reboot an existing franchise name so we can cash in without having to have any imagination”. As you note the original reason for its existence is, unfortunately, no longer scarce so the taboo aspect is gone but the description from the article makes it sound like this is a typical nostalgia cash grab, focusing on the “is it real or not” aspect that was the other half of what made the original videos so appealing to pre-internet teenagers.

2 Likes

Not a bad thing all-in-all. I’ve seen everything he’s made as far as I know but it’s also been a long time since watching any of it. I think Birdgirl stands on her own but knowing the greater universe isn’t a bad thing.

1 Like

All very reasonable thoughts that I had as well. Reminds of Tokyo and Godzilla.

The context, but not an excuse, is he wrote the original content when he was in his early 20’s. He asked what if hero and villains used their powers without restraint. And created a hyper violent stylized graphic novel answering the immediate question about the clashes but not the deeper questions about how a society responds in both the short and long term carnage.

But he doesn’t answer the societal questions. Instead he mostly does a reset, at least in the animation, with everyone seeming happy suburbanites ever time there is a an attack when in reality things would look like any country that has suffered long term random violence.

But then that might be distracting from the primary story of the father and son and their clashing views on power and how to use it correctly. Not every story needs Tolkien-esque level world building.

I see Space Ghost had those tap-to-talk communicator badges 20 years before ST:TNG

4 Likes

So the latest episode of Mare of Easttown went all Silence of the Lambs at the end there, with those locked up women. And K Bailey isn’t dead after all! Lots happening, a very busy show. And I’m wondering why we’re spending so much time on the sub-subplot of Mare’s daughter’s affairs of the heart. Maybe her daughter is going to get nabbed next?

5 Likes

The county detective (Zabel) has serial murderer written all over him (He still lives with his mom?), but I think that he was busy with mom when the latest victim was grabbed. I wonder who the person is who is behind the kidnappings, but isn’t the place where he took the latest victim the bar where Mare and Zabel met up? Or for that matter, Mare and Richard Ryan, the writer,first met?

I feel like the deacon might be a red herring.

I’m definitely hooked on the show!

4 Likes

I disagree about the Deacon; he’s the one who dumped Erin’s bike, he was the last known person to talk to her, and he’s been dodging the cops ever since. I think he’s the father of Erin’s baby, or her dad is. I also think two separate predators are stalking Easttown; one killed Erin, and the other is keeping girls as slaves.

5 Likes

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant the Deacon as the serial kidnapper. I definitely think that he may be the father of the baby. Oh, oh, oh! Or it could be John Ross, the husband of Lori Ross, Mare’s friend? He seems to be just in the wings, not doing anything special.

3 Likes

Ah, I see.

In that case, I do not disagree.

:wink:

Interesting theory; but I really think it’s even odds between the two likeliest suspects.

Also did you clock what Dylan was about to do in the hospital?
Regardless that he didn’t, it’s even more proof that we are not wrong for being disappointed that he’s still around.

What a shitty human being.

And now I have to go rewatch all the eps where they go drinking at a bar…

4 Likes

But why would the Deacon have access to the bar?

I’m not saying it’s not true, though.

4 Likes

It reminds me of Broadchurch

2 Likes

such a horribly sad end to all of that. one of maybe two or three serial dramas that I cried in relief the it was over. very well done, but gut-wrenchingly bleak.

3 Likes

Today I Realized that the Romulan Cloaking Device is simply a combination of the NOMAD (The Changeling) and Sargon (Return to Tomorrow) set pieces.

Star Trek Tantrum GIF

5 Likes

Will be watching this reboot…

9 Likes

Just watched The King of Staten Island (last night I mean, not just this second)… it was quite an enjoyable film.

If you don’t like Pete Davidson or Judd Apatow, it’s probably not for you… But I like them both okay, and enjoyed it well enough. It had some good laughs…

7 Likes

Yeah, I was not expecting it to be any good because it was hyped so much before its release. But it was pretty decent film and I liked Marisa Tomei’s part of the story line.

3 Likes

Yeah, that was kind of my favorite part, but I did enjoy him spending time with the firefighters, too. That was well done.

I loved the reveal of the back tattoos on Bill Burr. That was funny.

3 Likes

Giving The Upshaws a try for Wanda Sykes:

7 Likes