Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

I finally got around to starting Ted Lasso.

The verdict is still out after four or five episodes, but I do love fish out of water stories (hello, Northern Exposure!).

Also, I am from Kansas and Jason Sudeikis’ accent sounds a bit off…

2 Likes

I thought The Chair was fun in some ways, annoying and simplistic in others. Sandra Oh was great. The final episode had some weak writing that didn’t wrap things up well at all.

My verdict: Meh.

2 Likes

Surreal Estate is interesting so far…

1 Like
1 Like

So the new Spider-Man trailer officially announced it’s going to be another Multiverse movie. Which begs the question: Will Spider-Ham join the MCU? And if he does, can they keep him a cheesy 2D cartoon like the toons in Roger Rabbit?

4 Likes

Does Into the Spider-verse count as part of the MCU?

Also when SpiderHam was added as a playable character to the game ‘Contest of Champions’, they kept the 2D aesthetic, so it seems likely any other movies would as well.

3 Likes

I watched the first two episodes of Heels on Starz. As someone who grew up watching pro-wrestling, especially during the transitional period in the mid-90s, this show has a special sort of appeal. It focuses on an independent wrestling promotion in the south that’s not too different from the idea of the territories of the pre-80s, and they’re in competition with another promotion that is bloodier, more vulgar, and much more extreme in presentation. But, of course, there’s a lot of drama within the promotion itself – and I know that can turn people off because drama writing is primarily a.) someone isn’t being forthcoming or b.) there’s an obviously good decision to make and someone doesn’t even acknowledge it. This has both.

I don’t think it’s part of the MCU canon yet, but anything is possible when you’re dealing with the multiverse.

ETA: Supposedly at some point Sony was planning to give all the live-action Spider-Men (Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland) brief cameos in that movie but ditched the plan during production. Sounds like Marvel Studios decided to go for it.

5 Likes

Ah, I always forget to factor in licensing rights when thinking about Marvel stories.

(I’m actually not looking forward to the Multiverse of Madness, just based on the previews thus far.)

1 Like

I still think it’s weird that Sony decided to make a whole Venom franchise that doesn’t even mention Spider-Man. It would be like making a Bizarro movie set in a universe without Superman.

2 Likes

I have seen none of it, nor have I heard any reviews of it, which does not bode well.

And I agree; separating Spiderman from Venom seems pointless.

Why even bother?

1 Like

Same, but I suppose it probably can’t be any worse than the take on that character they did for Spider-Man 3. Just one last push to make use of whatever IP they haven’t relinquished back to Marvel Studios I guess.

2 Likes

Was that the one with freakin’ Topher Grace as Eddie Brock?

Some installments of favorite genres are so awful, I intentionally block them from my memory.

3 Likes

The writing on that one wasn’t just bad, it was incredibly lazy. The space meteor containing the Venom symbiote just HAPPENED to land 5 feet away from Peter Parker? What the actual fuck? He’s a superhero for Christ’s sake. There have to be like a thousand more believable scenarios that would put him in close proximity to an alien life form.

6 Likes

No recollection whatsoever, even though I know I saw that one in the theater.

In the original comic arc, didnt Spidey go to a different planet and that’s where he first encountered the symbiote?

5 Likes

Yep, during the Secret Wars.

5 Likes

Yep. So if, for example, they decided to put Venom in the MCU they could just say “oh I guess Peter accidentally got some symbiote on his costume when he was fighting Thanos and didn’t notice right away.”

But even in the context of the Sam Raimi films they could have had Peter Parker accidentally expose himself to the symbiote during a college lab visit or investigating a break-in at a secret science facility or something. “An alien fell from the sky and happened to land on the one human being with spider-powers” is so freaking lazy it still makes me mad.

5 Likes

What is the name of the episode you just watched?

6 Likes

When that movie came out I remember a Jon Stewart interview with Tobey where Jon basically made that same point. Tobey responded somewhat incredulously with something along the lines of “Really? You’re watching a movie about someone with spider-derived super powers and that’s the bridge too far for you?” To which Jon emphatically answered “YES!”

I agree with Jon.

Edit: ok, I looked it up and it wasn’t exactly how I remembered it but that was the basic vibe. Relevant part is 5 minutes into the video:

2 Likes

I mean there’s a reason these characters usually have alter-egos that put them in situations where they’re more likely to encounter crimes and threats. Peter Parker was written as a freelance newspaper photographer because even in a comic book universe it would be weird for a random teenager to just happen upon bank heists and whatnot several times a week.

1 Like