Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

A well done movie, but very heavy… It’s set in Leningrad right at the end of the war, so you can imagine it’s not a film filled with joy.

6 Likes

It’s great to see Jane Campion back on form with The Power of the Dog.

I love the eventual turnabout in terms of who the real monster is. I wondered about Kirsten Dunst’s character, though. Seemed…underdeveloped at best.

3 Likes

If you like that theme, you might like Glitch

What makes this one distinctive is that there are tens (or hundreds) of thousands of people showing up from a variety of time periods, turning it into a story/allegory about immigration policy and sociological friction between the mores of different time periods. The police procedural, where one of the partners is a former Viking shieldmaiden, is just icing on the cake.

Sounds like The 4400, especially the new one

I was thinking of Katla, and how it’s so much like Glitch that I wondered if it was a licensed adaptation, like the multiple versions of The Bridge

I guess stories like this have been around forever, including the whole concept of “ghosts”

It isn’t much like 4400, at least the old one. I haven’t seen the new one, or Katla, so can’t compare. It is also very different from Glitch.

This came up as a result of my wife saying she wanted to watch something “fluffy”.

It’s an interesting watch.

2 Likes

No matter how many episodes I watch I still have no fucking idea what is going on

3 Likes

Have you tried watching Jojos Bizarre Adventure? Makes far less sense than anything on the planet…

Animated GIF

5 Likes

Me either. Very good. It’s rare to watch a TV show that we can relate to and root for the characters.

But, without spoilers, many problems could have been avoided if the priest and the people of the island had watched old Hammer Studios movies.

2 Likes
1 Like

schitts creek agree GIF by CBC

3 Likes

I am Sorry. A lot of spoilers ahead.

I think, somehow, Jesus Christ is a plot device of one of Jojo´s manga.

Jesus | JoJo's Bizarre Wiki | Fandom

saint young men jesus GIF

1 Like

Oh god, I think that’s a spoiler for me! I’ve never read the Manga and we just started Stone Ocean! This thing just gets weirder and weirder…

1 Like

Sorry Home Alone GIF by filmeditor

I like weird japanese stuff such as Tekkon Kinkreet or Taste of the Tea. But I think Jojo is too much for me.

2 Likes

No worries… I’m not one of those trying to avoid spoliers for what I’m watching. It’s good to know that the show gets even weirder!

It’s really out there…

2 Likes

11-why-crying

4 Likes

Interesting choice, isn’t it? You gotta keep reminding yourself that this universe doesn’t seem to have any V fiction whatsoever and i guess i understand it, they’re not looking for a Cabin in the Woods style tone.

1 Like

4 episodes in, I’m enjoying Hawkeye.

5 Likes

This gave me a new perspective on how astronauts prepare for missions. Don’t miss the credits! (watched on Kanopy)

3 Likes