Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

The writer is wrong about everything…including the teachings of Christ

5 Likes

Anyone plan on watching That 90s show?

Seems like it might be fun… I did realize that in addition to neither the actor who played the sister Laurie nor the actor who played Steven not being in show (because Lisa Robin Kelly died, and Danny Masterson is apparently a raping asshole), Donna’s mom will not be in the show, either, as Tanya Roberts died not too long ago!

Ashton Kutcher Kitty GIF

But apparently, we get a Tommy Chong appearance at least…

2 Likes

That '90s Show

Awww, man…

Since I dug the original up to season 6, I guess I will at least watch the first few eps, knowing that pilots tend not to be very strong; but my expectations are very low.

That 80’s Show was a thing once too, for a hot second; and it was NOT good… like, at all.

3 Likes

I watched the movie The Banshees of Inisherin. With Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson, and the writer and Director of In Bruges I expected a movie similar to In Bruges. But it is not.

5 Likes

It was not, but they went with an entirely new cast, setting, etc… and it seemed just like a pastiche of 80s culture. I think what made That 70s Show so good was that it managed to avoid that… Hopefully bringing back some of the old characters, and having a connection with the new will be helpful.

Is it good, though? The trailers look amazing…

4 Likes

I liked it overall. Its set in the islands off Mayo, during the Irish civil war. The humor is similar to that in In Bruges. But there are a few shocking moments that spoiled it for the Missus.

9 Likes

Oh! Well, I’m looking forward to seeing it. Thanks for the review!

6 Likes

I’m kinda bad at reviews that don’t completely spoil the movies. It is worth the watch though!

7 Likes

30 episodes! That cover the first book!

5 Likes

I was mostly curious if you enjoyed it, so that’s more than enough! Thanks!

3 Likes

I don’t know what I was expecting, but wow, that was a lot to take in.

Was it well done? Yes. Would I recommend it to others? I would say that only some people would appreciate the film more than they would be upset by it, so it’s a good idea to have some awareness that it’s not a bucolic period piece, but rather a strange horror film that pretends it isn’t.

8 Likes

I started watching expecting something like In Bruges. And then suddenly it was not. It’s hard to describe without mega-spoilers. Certainly not a date movie.

5 Likes

Invincible Season 2 update:

3 Likes

It’s rescued by fantastic acting for me. Three main characters really deliver.

But I promised not to watch another of his after 3 Billboards and I feel tricked.

4 Likes

What was it about 3 Billboards that prompted that promise?

2 Likes

The gormless redneck ignorant cliche.

I saw a couple of his plays and genuinely couldn’t understand how people saw it as anything other than silly dialect comedy cliches from the mid 20th century with edgy ultra violence to update it.

Still don’t.

Politically Banshees has all the insight and critical nous of a fucking U2 song.

7 Likes

Weird that the guy who created Rick & Morty would be so droll in his sexist/racist/abusive texting.

I mean obviously the show has a huge following among toxic assholes due to… provocative content that seems less and less ironic now, but the writing and delivery are usually razor sharp. These texts read like boilerplate online abuse from a barely-literate CHUD.

1 Like

Please don’t remind me about the episode with the underground CHUD kingdom. Some of the plot points in that one were even more problematic than a typical episode.

3 Likes

My interest is ONLY piqued now… I kind of love it when films can pretend to be things they’re not…

Although I’m also thinking of the brilliant Jennifer’s Body, which got marketed as a sexed up horror film, when it was really so, so much more…

Oh No Omg GIF by The Office

Gonna watch it anyways, but still… that doesn’t bode well.

7 Likes