Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

That could be true. In my little bubble I have seen near daily discussions about what the nature of the “shows” will be. Even if I started watching it with zero advance knowledge I think I would have figured out pretty fast that none of what we were seeing was real and that the mini stories didn’t matter in the long run. But that is just me. If people really enjoyed the first two episodes that’s great. I had a feeling things would pick up so I kept watching. I know several people that quit the show after episode 2 and I have been trying to get them to come back and give it another watch.

ETA: The friends that quit all were similar in that they don’t watch any of the nerd discussions. Their explanation of why they quit was it was boring and confusing and they just didn’t care to keep watching.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Weird how they haven’t announced who’s playing Death.

Still, I am living for Gwendoline Christie as Lucifer!

4 Likes

I nearly fist pumped the air when I read that.

4 Likes

Looking good, now I just want to know who plays that drunken oaf of a Thor who almost gets his eyes clawed out for making unwelcome advances at Bastet.

2 Likes

I guess it depends on what they cover? If they’re doing the first graphic novel as season 1, Death only shows up at the very end of that… But they have not really said what the first season will cover, so they might not even get to that, depending on where they want to break it.

Fuck yeah!

3 Likes

I looove John Lurie! and I am enjoying Painting, but you simply must watch Fishing (with John) it is pure absurdist fun! favorite eps were with Tom Waits in Jamaica, Willem Defoe ice fishing in Maine, shark fishing with Jim Jarmusch! oh! and Dennis Hopper in Thailand!
I recently bought the DVD compilation and rewatched all of them. absolutely hysterical, but again, absurd.
BTW: Lurie is a much better painter than fisherman!

1 Like

I was not expecting that one plot twist in the last episode of The Expanse. In general the show’s plot lines have remained remarkably consistent with the books—doing their own thing here and there, but basically arriving at the same destinations even when they diverged. But killing off Alex?? He was supposed to survive for at least three additional novels’ worth of material!

2 Likes

Look up the allegations against the actor last year. No surprise they went that route.

1 Like

Ah, I hadn’t heard that part. Now I’m wondering if he actually knew his character was going to get killed off in that final scene or they just pulled a “Poochie.”

poochie

4 Likes

Supposedly primary production was done before the allegations arose publicly. So probably a scramble to make it work. https://screenrant.com/expanse-season-6-cas-anvar-not-returning/

2 Likes

TBH, after I saw this I realised I’d watch Taika Waititi mow the lawn.

Good thing it’s easy to make a freeze frame look like someone having a stroke.

3 Likes

Short thread.

8 Likes

Well, that all happened. Interesting course correction as to the novels in the last episode. I am really, really curious how they think they can wrap things up, or even catch up with the books in a final season. had they not introduced what they did in this last episode it would have been easy.

I am thinking that the introduction of Duarte and Laconia is foreshadowing a revival miniseries or movie a few years down the road, since there is such a huge gap in the books, too.

Overall, not bad. Good TV. I am trying to see it as a different work that the books, lot of missed opportunities there, but it’s only 10 episodes. Happy with it, overall.

2 Likes

They kind of had to include that information to at least some extent since Duarte’s secret agenda was the entire reason that elements of the Martian military armed Marco Inaros’ factions in the first place.

The later books and novellas definitely have enough extra material to fuel a spinoff though even if that show didn’t cover the continuing adventures of the Rocinante.

2 Likes

I watched Weathering With You last night (after reading the BB post). Really sweet movie about adolescence and first love, grounded in the reality of kids struggling against homelessness, with a dash of magic and metaphor to drive the story. It gave me feels.

3 Likes

And it stood out as such. I kept waiting for a hammer to fall knowing the actor was out for next season but oof, that was just super lazy.

Yeah, how randomly convenient. Felt felt like an insult to the character.

OTOH it also felt like an homage to how Fred Johnson bought his ticket in the books (stroking out from high-G maneuvers rather than assassinated).

2 Likes

I think all that anger should be directed at the actor who has sullied a fan favorite character by being such a mysoginist ahole.

5 Likes