Whatcha Watchin’ (Season 3)

Tonight I made my BF watch an episode of the Timothy Hutton - Maury Chaykin A&E Nero Wolfe series. It was the second season’s third story, Die Like a Dog. We had to keep pausing so he could point out various ahem Wonderful Things he noticed - cars, buildings, interiors, decor, the clothes, wonderful shots…He also loved the doggo, of course, and everyone’s acting.

It was a great series that ended far too soon. The production values (and costs) were really high. It was gorgeous, and the scripts mostly stayed true to the books/stories. It was the best of the TV Wolfe incarnations.

Yes, I’ve read them all. tophat-biggrin There’s an entire yard of used Wolfe paperbacks in one of the bookcases. When yr after a ton of cheap books, ebay can be your friend.

7 Likes

It was a fantastic show! A&E used to be a great network, what with Nero Wolfe and The Avengers reruns. This would be late ‘90’s.

Then they went all in on the Duck Dynasty moronic cheap-ass “reality” bullshit shows

3 Likes

Just finished Painkiller, about Richard Sackler and Purdue. Dark topic, well told. It’s a bit over the top, but then again it’s an over the top story of an asshole and a company of assholes selling opiates and killing at least a million people when the medical establishment should have known better, so maybe it needs over the top. Uzo Aduba and Mathew Broderick were really good.

2 Likes

Remember when Bravo! showed only ads for itself only between programs, and showed foreign films with subtitles, plays, and operas and shit?

Remember when AMC stood for and (mostly) showed American Movie Classics, with only ads for itself between films?

5 Likes

We’re reaching the point in the strike where they’re announcing programming casualties. The Peripheral has now been canceled by Amazon, with more to come.

3 Likes

When you leave a group of teenagers unsupervised for too long, what do they decide to try? Sex, drugs and rock’n’roll? Of course not, the rebellious, hormone-filled kids will play with a cursed object and summon supernatural entities.

Things get ugly, but real ugly for the teenagers of “Talk to Me”, an Australian horror film. Good movie, reminded me a little of an American movie called “It Follows”.

The film shows several aspects of modern youth culture such as obnoxious Tik Tok challenges, pop divas, silly viral videos, endless online conversations, young people who do not let go of their cell phones for nothing etc. Maybe the kids will think it’s cool, but I think their parents will be scared of all this…

Baby Boomers GIF by MOODMAN

There was a moment when I was laughing in the cinema. How can hospitals in Australia be so messed up? Anyone walks into the wards at any time of the day, patients walk back and forth and nobody gives a damn. Even the worst hospitals in war zones shouldn’t be this shitty. I was laughing when I saw a desperate character looking for her injured brother and when in the background, the main actress kidnaps him in his wheelchair. It looked like a scene out of a Mel Brooks or Abrahams Brothers movie.

2 Likes

I’m a Virgo is described on Wikipedia as an absurdist comedy. It’s not exactly wrong because it’s about a 13 foot tall 19 year old Black man finding his place in the world after being raised in secret. Fish out of water and he is naturally incongruent with society. But there’s more to it. It’s a good enough description, though.

What strikes me the most after finishing it is that it ends (trust me, not a spoiler) with a strong, hard anti-capitalist screed while existing on Amazon’s Prime Video service. All streamers are capitalist, of course, but Amazon is even more so because it’s the service that sells you things and also has the X-Ray service that tells you the song playing during the scene you’re watching and how to buy it as well as who is in the scene and what other properties you can (pay to) see them in. Amazon paid to co-produce this series, and I don’t begrudge Boots Riley for using them as a soapbox and megaphone.

2 Likes

I have been meaning to re-up Prime for a month to watch this - loved “Sorry to Bother You” so much! So, I guess that the capitalists will still get their money…and hopefully a few people will have an awakening

2 Likes

There are ways around that… But we live in a capitalist society and want Boots Riley to get credit for his work.

1 Like

Well, just in the last few days I binge-watched all of DaFuq!?Boom!'s Skibidi Toilet series on YouTube. It starts out pretty ridiculous (and stays ridiculous throughout), but after just a few episodes it takes a very dark – and much more interesting – turn.

Here’s episodes 1-57 in a single video:

1 Like

I have heard of this…but I am filled with trepidation about finding out more…

1 Like

The whole series (now 58 episodes) is only about 35 minutes in all. It’s hard to watch them all on DaFuq!?Boom!'s rather chaotic channel. There’s a helpful wiki. The last 10 episodes or so are just amazing. I love 54 and 57

1 Like

Looked briefly at the wiki…

Tonight Show Wow GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

3 Likes

… yet another psychic detective show, mostly notable because Lauren Lee Smith was in it

Seems like it would be interesting because p҉s҉y҉c҉h҉i҉c҉ ҉p҉o҉w҉e҉r҉s҉ right? but it ends up being a cheat for the writers, they can skip half the detective work because dude reads minds

So, I took the plunge. Interesting…immediately things start slotting into the wrinkles worn into my visual cortex by Hot Chip’s I Feel Better Video? Saga!? Portal. System Shock! And new, interesting visuals, making new wrinkles…

Then, almost exactly half way through, in Episode 39(?) the TV Men appeared. Accompanied, always, by Burning Bridges by Japan?!

Well…I kinda lost my mind.

cosmos GIF

I get it

Good Vibes GIF by The Bachelorette

It’s JUST vibes

ETA: If I could, I would change my heart on your OP to APPLAUSE

3 Likes

Arleen Sorkin created the amazingly iconic Harley Quinn voice, which helped lodge the character into our minds and question if she wasn’t a Batman character all along. Such an amazing talent, gone too soon. Another great big “fuck you” to cancer.

1 Like

Two listicles from the AV Club (which seems to be all they do anymore, which is depressing), but…

Upcoming blu-ray releases - Picard, Interview with the Vampire, and Pokerface!!!:

And for some history, here are series that came out in 1993 - including the best trek:

Sadly, I doubt that DS9 will get much focus on Trek Day, despite it being the 30th anniversary of the show airing…

Mad props to Lower Decks for having a DS9 episode, tho… Just look at that tacky fascist cardassian eyesore!!! :face_holding_back_tears:

Season 3 Episode 6 GIF by Paramount+

7 Likes

This made me think that that are, inevitability, some dudes in the Federation that are like “Well, say what you want about Cardassians, you have to admire their architecture and uniform designs” :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

Steve Buscemi GIF by The Good Films

4 Likes