Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

My partner had not seen Hidden Figures, and wasn’t aware of the story. I spent a bunch of time in the barn today, so my eyeballs needed a good rinse.

1 Like

I’m enjoying Resident Alien too. It is more like Northern Exposure with aliens imo. Alan Tudyk is really funny.

3 Likes

My problem with American Gods is that it moves so slow that it will take 10+ seasons to tell the story. Of course, it probably will get canceled and wrapped up too quickly.

1 Like

Well, especially given the distance between seasons.

Season 1: April 2017
Season 2: March 2019
Season 3 January 2021

And for the wait we get, maybe, 10 episodes. During the first and second seasons, the lack of care given the overall story was buffered by the completely amazing secondary stories. This third season they have totally shifted away from that.

Bilquis continues to be compelling as a character but they seem to be relying on momentary vignettes to spotlight her journey, full of special effects and metaphorical innuendo that say, cryptically, basically nothing. When you compare that to what we got from Mr Nancy in the first season? It’s sad and disrespectful to the character.

I’d honestly be happier if they just let the main story slide completely and gave us episodes like “A Prayer for Mad Sweeney”, or “Head Full of Snow”.

I feel loss, which is apropos, I guess, but I didn’t want to feel it because the show let me down.

1 Like

You had me at

I gotta start watching that.

1 Like

I was really captivated by this.

5 Likes

Watched that not too long ago… it was lovely… and very French!

It was nice to see Valeria Golino! I don’t think I’ve seen her in anything since the 80s… She must not have been doing much American film work since then?

5 Likes

I thought i recognised her while watching it and of course she’s been in tons of stuff. This film is so French though but that’s a feature and not a bug.

4 Likes

I particularly liked the all woman choir. But I love all women choirs anyway.

3 Likes

I had fun with Scorsese’s tribute to Fran Lebowitz, “Pretend It’s a City.” A mini series on Netflix with half hour episodes. She’s a hoot!

5 Likes
1 Like

George R.R. Martin Is Working Hard On His Next Book from Conan O’Brien

3 Likes

I cosign that sentiment; it’s been much more entertaining than I was expecting, given the premise.

1 Like

I’m not sure who the audience for The Irregulars is supposed to be. I would have guessed “tweens” but there was a masturbation joke in there. At any rate, it wasn’t targeted at me. I guess I would have been more interested in the show if it had just been about the regular Holmes universe rather than being a low fantasy.

Groovy!

According to io9’s Morning Spoilers:

Finally, the Deadites from the Evil Dead franchise attack PBS in a new clip from Creepshow’s April 1 season premiere written by Rob Schrab, directed by Greg Nicotero, and starring Ted Raimi.

This is either going to be a-freaking-mazing, or it’s gonna fall flat. I’m hoping it’s good. (It’ll probably be another day or two after it airs before I can see it, because reasons, but I’m so looking forward to this.)

3 Likes

ash-v-evil-chet-shit-yes

Definitely freaking amazing.

4 Likes

Nobody saw that comin, amirite?

Kind of a funny quote:

Speaking of finales, the season three ending left the story at an extremely pivotal moment. American Gods creator Neil Gaiman himself said it would be “the single most frustrating, upsetting and maddening place that any season could possibly end.”

I guess he never saw the finale TV episode of Farscape.

5 Likes

I like Holmes stories, but most non-Doyle Holmes stuff sucks. I would try the Irregulars, except this pic:

says Gritty 80’s synth band, so hard pass for me.

1 Like

Well that sucks. Hopefully, they’ll indeed make a movie or limited series to wrap it up.

3 Likes

Yes, I am curious where they were really going with it all. What I will really miss though is the vignettes, the secondary stories. So many of those were beautiful.