Whatcha Watchin'?

A friend whose opinions I value highly raves about Terriers. I hope someday to find it on DVD or other format.

2 Likes

Deutschland 83: another Cold War spy story. This time, itā€™s Ossis v. Wessis. Liking it a lot after the first 2 (of 8) episodes. Nice use of music here too, but could do with some Nina Hagen (no idea if my wish will be granted).

The Get Down: I never would have thought to watch this but my SO wanted to give it a go. And it turns out to be really good, albeit with some moments of haut fromage. The birth of hip-hop in the Bronx in the 70s, dramatized, with some good kitchen-sink melodrama and some flights of fancy. Edit: um, of course yes, I did read the OP. I really did. A while ago.

1 Like

Killjoys, The Night Of, and The Strain.

1 Like

Iā€™m totally watching Killjoys;

Hannah John-Kamen is amazing.

8 Likes

I see what you mean about season 2 going downhill. Eva Green was phenomenal throughout, though.

It definitely passes the Bechdel test (maybe not with flying colors): Vanessa and Joan Clayton converse, for example, and not about men.

And season 2 is not the end! Season 3 just isnā€™t on Netflix yet.

2 Likes

Youā€™ll get your Nina, donā€™t worry :wink:

After I made my comment, it occurred to me that Vanessa may have had such a conversation with the Cut Wife, or her reincarnation, Dr. Seward, & that I had simply forgotten.

Still, the disappointment is papable; itā€™s like the writers just didnā€™t care anymore and started phoning it in; pretty much the entire 2nd season.

1 Like

I was pleasantly surprised by the show. It brings back some of the fun that was the best part of the early Stargate shows while still keeping the story complex. I may prefer the first seasonā€™s opening sequence, but Iā€™m only on episode 2 of this season and the new openerā€™s in-your-face cheesiness is growing on me.

2 Likes

I concur, but itā€™s a minor quibble.

Right now, Iā€™m more concerned about Pawter Simms murder, and what impact thatā€™s going to have on John Jacoby.

1 Like

Done with season two of Bosch and looking forward to more.

I wish someone would option the rights to Chelsea Cainā€™s Heartsick trilogy. I think it could be great.

4 Likes

Have you seen Hand of God? I exactly canā€™t put my finger on why I associate it with Bosch, but I think if you liked one, you might like the other.

1 Like

Still working on Season 3 of Vikings, but now also finally getting started on Stranger Things. Two episodes in, and having to restrain myself from just staying up the rest of the night to finish it :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Wow. Just hit S03E11 and S03E12. Too realā€¦ Some of it hits too close to home.

2 Likes

I associate the two because I didnā€™t really notice Bosch until Hand of God. And I only noticed Hand of God because Ron Perlman.

2 Likes

Oh, I saw Jennyā€™s Wedding over the weekend because I found out Alexis Bledel was in it. I wish it had more of Alexisā€™s character in it but the movie was still great (on a scale of one to I cried a lot ā€¦ :crying_cat_face: ).

1 Like

ETA:

I neednā€™t have worried; Iā€™m just surprised that the writers didnā€™t try to draw out John Jacobyā€™s revenge on Delle Saya for killing the woman he loves. But now Iā€™m skeptical that she will actually stay dead.)

1 Like

Anyone else been watching The 100? We just finished up with whatā€™s on netflix (first 2 seasons) and are waiting for season 3 to go up on Netflixā€¦

Also, finally picked up the Ash vs. Evil Dead dvd for the first season and itā€™s as amazing as Iā€™d hoped it would be. Bruce Campbell is a national treasure! And I still think young Bruce Campbell and Nicholas Brendon look alikeā€¦

5 Likes

No to the 100, HELLZ YES to Ash vs the Evil Dead.

2 Likes

The 100 took a turn I didnā€™t expect and became way more epic than Iā€™d have thought from the initial episode and sort of series description. Full of strong women, tooā€¦

Also, itā€™s not just me on the whole Nicholas Brendan/Bruce Campbell look alike thing - itā€™s the chin! Very different eyes, thoughā€¦

4 Likes

Does it pass the Bechdel?