Whatcha Watchin'?

I never even watched a single ep of Voyager, and I only half way got through DS9.

My own geekery level is lacking.

2 Likes

Well, i highly recommend you finish DS9 but you are safe to forget about voyager apart from the odd episode. The rest of us are trying to forget voyager happened but iā€™m still working through my enterprise therapy.

6 Likes

What about all the 7 of 9 fans?

You mean the series, or the ship itself?

[quote=ā€œMelizmatic, post:568, topic:84100ā€]
What about all the 7 of 9 fans?[/quote]

Ugh. Well i like jeri ryan and i liked her in that role i guess but i think a lot of her male fans watched for the skin-tight outfit.

[quote=ā€œMelizmatic, post:568, topic:84100ā€]
You mean the series, or the ship itself?[/quote]

Oh, i meant the series, sorry. A regrettable experience even if it did pick up towards the end, excluding the atrocious final episode.

2 Likes

13 Likes

Heh. It had its moments but come on, overall it was disappointing. Where was the promise of the maquis/federation conflict? They got over that in about 3 episodes and it was never spoken of again. I did like the doctor though, he was great.

5 Likes

Fizzled out when they realised that they were woefully underprepared to pilot a starship through 70,000 light years of who-knows what?

Not saying it didnā€™t have some very low points, but for me, Janeway would be a close tie with Sisko for best captain.

2 Likes

It was just sooo pedestrian though when they had the potential to make it a real struggle being stranded so far from starfleet but it turned into a soapy trek drama. The kazon also felt to me like an attempt to have klingons in the deltra quadrant but with nothing that makes the klingons interesting. Remember lon suder? Now that story was a really interesting, dark storyline. Maybe the 2 part episode year of hell would be a standout except for the fact it just becomes your typical trek reset plot but i wanted to see that kind of struggle. Not that i want star trek to be grimdark like battlestar galactica; iā€™m very interested to see what discovery turns out to be given the times we live in.

1 Like

I only saw a few episodes, and ironically of the maybe dozen I saw, several of them I saw twice in re-runs. They were rather lacking. I mean I just was not interested in the least. I couldnā€™t get into Enterprise either, even though I like Scott Bakula.(sp)

I did enjoy the original and TNG. I watched all of the early few seasons of DS9 and liked it, though when I went to college I stopped watching TV.

Redlettermedia on youtube has some great reviews of the various movies - but it outlined the problem with a lot of the new Trek.

1. It got too dark and removed the original shows optimism.

2. It devolved into an action drama, vs a thinking drama - which REALLY doesnā€™t work when TNG cast is way past the age they should be doing a lot of action.

It isnā€™t enoughā€¦ something nice to look at canā€™t keep a ship afloat, so to speak.

3 Likes

OK - Finished Jessica Jones.

Overall pretty good. Aside from the nitpick above, the only other plot issue was with the cop at the end. It seemed contrived and unnecessary - though maybe they are setting him up to come back as the villain in season 2 or something, in which case that makes sense.

But everything was solid all around. Looking forward to moving on to Luke Cage so that I know what is going on when they all team up for the Defenders.

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty excited for Iron Fist myself; and hopefully Defenders lives up to the hype.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I forgot that was coming too. Well I started in on Luke Cage since I am on a roll.

I almost wish these shows took place in the 70s-80s, when NYC was much grittier and rough. I mean there were like 6x more murders back then, and strip clubs near Times Square. I guess I have this sort of fascination for it like how it was depicted in films like Taxi Driver and even in the comics, where Marvel not only lived, but many of the stories and birthplace of the characters was back then.

NYC 2016 is sterile in comparison, but hey, it would take a lot more to make it look like that.

3 Likes

Youā€™re WRONG! Itā€™s a hellhole! Our president says so, and heā€™s a real estate genius.

2 Likes

Letā€™s stay on topic.

I hear what youā€™re saying about the grittier origins of many of the Marvel NYC characters, but Iā€™m glad Luke Cage got the modern update that it did.

Let me know what you think once youā€™re done, and of course thereā€™s a whole entire thread dedicated to that showā€¦

1 Like

I like the theme and the settings of the older stuff (though to be fair, its already been done, so I shouldnā€™t really complain), but certainly enjoy the modern updating of the characters. Especially Luke Cage. A LOT of costumes from the 70s did not age well. I liked how pops was calling him Powerman as nick name.

I forgot about the other thread, I will have to pop in.

Also, I forget if there are any Steven Universe fans, but they put out 4 or 5 more episodes and they were really good. Some pretty funny and weird moments, including a Human Zoo.

4 Likes

I want to like that show; but Iā€™m just never high enough, I guessā€¦

1 Like

Have you gotten into season 2 or so? It gets better. I dunno, she likes it a lot and I found myself really enjoying it. Maybe itā€™s because I like rocksā€¦

ETA - several critiques I have seen remarked that it took awhile for the show to find itā€™s rhythm and voice.

3 Likes

Ditto. I thought it was the best of the Netflix Marvel series so far, great attention to detail, you can tell the creators really cared about making the show as good as possible. The only thing that constantly annoyed me is the same thing they do in every frigginā€™ TV series these days, everyone speaking in hushed gravely tones. When did whiskey voice become gravitas?

I liked Jessica Jones, but it really dragged out the story to fill out 13 episodes. I too am pumped for Iron Fist. At the same time, I try hard not to get too excited about anything because I firmly believe the key to pleasant surprises is low expectations.

You know, I really did not want to like that character at first because the producers clearly brought her on to titillate the male fan base. But Jeri Ryan and the writers crafted one of the showā€™s stronger characters and the adoptive mother/daughter dynamic between 7 of 9 and Janeway turned out much better than it had any right to. In the end, I was won over. Iā€™ll agree that the show as a whole was weak compared to the latter seasons of TNG or most of DS9 (which gets really good around seasons 4). But it had a few outstanding episodes in each season and Janeway, 7 of 9, the Doctor, Torres and even Paris were all pretty good characters. DS9 was so arc-oriented that it really makes sense to watch nearly every episode. But Voyager was so episodic that someone should really put together a list of the episodes worth watching (probably about a fifth of the overall show).

5 Likes

Against odds, i did watch several episodes of ā€œDonā€™t trust the bitch in Apartment 23ā€ and it was Ok. Krysten Ritter made the show.

3 Likes

It was kind of uneven (still working on season 2) but when itā€™s good itā€™s so good. Krysten Ritter is extremely funny! For anyone who tries to watch it on Netflix, season 2 gets confusing because they padded it out with unaired episodes from season 1. If I were not in the habit of reading TV reviews/recaps on the A.V. Club I would have had no idea why the timeline was suddenly screwed up.

4 Likes