What's a really awkward situation that everyone can relate with?

In the grand scheme of things its not that big of deal, but i do understand the awkwardness of someone else knowing a whole lot about you and in comparison you don’t even know their names. That said i usually tell people upfront when i first meet them that i’m terrible at remembering names.

5 Likes

I blow kisses, usually they wind up smiling and waving back, usually.

Just be glad you weren’t doing the foley.

5 Likes

The time I put my foot in my mouth the worse was making a comment about a stranger to a person who ended up being their spouse. oops!

6 Likes

Showering with your dog.

2 Likes

foley

5 Likes

I thought this one would be awkward, but I don’t find it so…

Crossing the street to avoid passing close to someone, while at the same time making eye contact and wishing them good health.

5 Likes

See: Margot Robbie, in “the wolf of wall street

yesterday i thought i had mistaken a customer for a store employee, and realized this as i began to ask them for help. not wanting to look ridiculous, i continued to mutter audibly so they would just think i was crazy and not rude. turns out it was an employee after all.

9 Likes

Ha, I could have phrased that better. I don’t even have a dog, so I can’t blame it regardless!

1 Like

Sends a different message if you look like me.

Which I have been known to do as well.

1 Like

My last job, my boss (who was about to hire me) had this happen during the final interview round, where I had flown into town.

We wrapped up the interview in the conference room, and he, as a show of power and grace, power walked off theatrically to the left of the conference room. Arms swinging, chest puffed out.

My future colleague said, “Great job, lemme show you out”. We went off to the left of the conference room as well.

And we rolled right up on him where once out of sight, he had resumed a normal, shuffling pace and office worker posture. He looked back and noticed us, over his shoulder.

He tried to square his shoulders again, puff his chest, thinking he could recover.

He couldn’t recover though, and decided not to puff his chest and square his shoulders and walk faster.

So he just kind of kept shuffling for a bit and ignored us until we went different ways.

12 Likes

Posting something with bad speling and. or, punctuation errors.

20 Likes

“When you and a stranger are walking opposite directions and you both go the same side multiple times to pass each other lol.”

There’s a specific term for that: Contrapedation.

(See, for example: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=contrapedation. I guess there’s probably also a German word for it but the English one is useful.)

8 Likes

giphy|nullxnull

1 Like

Nah, that’s a

DROITWICH (n.)
A street dance. The two partners approach from opposite directions and try politely to get out of each other’s way. They step to the left, step to the right, apologise, step to the left again, apologise again, bump into each other and repeat as often as unnecessary.

CORRIEARKLET (n.)
The moment at which two people approaching from opposite ends of a long passageway, recognice each other and immediately pretend they haven’t. This is to avoid the ghastly embarrassment of having to continue recognising each other the whole length of the corridor.

CORRIECRAVIE (n.)
To avert the horrors of corrievorrie (q.v.) corriecravie is usually
employed. This is the cowardly but highly skilled process by which both protagonists continue to approach while keeping up the pretence that they haven’t noticed each other - by staring furiously at their feet, grimacing into a notebook, or studying the walls closely as if in a mood of deep irritation.

CORRIEDOO (n.)
The crucial moment of false recognition in a long passageway encouter. Though both people are perfectly well aware that the other is approaching, they must eventually pretend sudden recognition. They now look up with a glassy smile, as if having spotted each other for the firt time, (and are particulary delighted to have done so) shouting out ‘Haaaaaallllloooo!’ as if to say ‘Good grief!! You!! Here!! Of all people! Will I never. Coo. Stap me vitals, etc.’

CORRIEMOILLIE (n.)
The dreadful sinking sensation in a long passageway encounter when both protagonists immediately realise they have plumped for the corriedoo (q.v.) mutch too early as they are still a good thirty yards apart. They were embarrased by the pretence of corriecravie (q.v.) and decided to make use of the corriedoo because they felt silly. This was a mistake as corrievorrie (q.v.) will make them seem far sillier.

CORRIEVORRIE (n.)
Corridor etiquette demans that one a corriedoo (q.v.) has been
declared, corrievorrie must be employed. Both protagonists must now embellish their approach with an embarrassing combination of waving, grinning, making idiot faces, doing pirate impressions, and waggling the head from side to side while holding the other person’s eyes as the smile drips off their face, until with great relief, they pass each other.

(Adams / Lloyd, The Meaning of Liff)

12 Likes

See? Awkward!

2 Likes

Sitting between my father and my newly introduced boyfriend at a performance of Carmina Burana, reading the english lyrics of the dirty latin drinking songs.

4 Likes

That’s right up there with the cat/dog walking through the open bathroom door mid-poop. It’s just weird the way they look/watch. On the other hand, they don’t care in the least if I’m near, staring (grossly).

But let us face it, this is about really awkward situations, and those especially involve some sort of exposed covert sex thing. Moms traditionally like to walk into situations, then either back off horrified or worse, want to console.

2 Likes

I know you! Your the guy how blows kisses by leaning over and talking with your butt! I love your work, just use a turn signal, OK?

2 Likes