What's inside one of those magic chess boards?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/15/whats-inside-one-of-those-ma.html

3 Likes

Well that’s disappointing. I was sure it would be a miniature person inside.

10 Likes

Horcrux. :scream:

6 Likes

Mindless destruction from someone who can’t play chess. Lucky no wood shards to the eyes with no eye protection. There is so much wrong with this video.

8 Likes

Yeah, I was really surprised at how juvenile this video was, and commented accordingly. There’s a difference between taking something apart to learn how it works versus just smashing it. Skimming through their videos I was increasingly disappointed by the low-brow, overly entitled antics, and the overall anti-intellectual tone. The number of followers of their channel is also a sad commentary.

6 Likes

Pretty unusual use for a shingle hatchet (I didn’t even realize those were still on the market, honestly).

2 Likes

A splitting wedge may not have left much for scrutiny

1 Like

I guess some people have $329 of eff-you money for bland videos.

2 Likes

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a magic chessboard?

2 Likes

Well the board beat the kid once, so I guess just one?

3 Likes

Par for the course on YouTube.

1 Like

This channel is most remarkable for its ridiculously poor use of good tools. I’m not sure of the incompetence on display is part of the schtick or if it’s genuine.

Hacking open a stainless steel vacuum thermos with a hatchet is a particularly standout moment.

Yeah, I hate this channel. Having said that, I did find their video on exploding fire extinguisher balls quite interesting and informative.

2 Likes

It’s an inexplicably popular channel, so they probably got it for free. Many of these channels get people and companies sending them weird stuff to burn/shoot/explode/cut/etc.

2 Likes

Yeah, I really love teardown videos, showing how something works and investigating it. This was just gratuitous taking it apart with a kid and an adult shouting most of the time. I think I was only able to watch about 30 seconds total of the video (from different positions).

1 Like

Nah, more like a homunculus

1 Like

I ddin’t watch this video, but I’ve run across the channel in the past, and I think you just described it perfectly.

They stated in the video that they got it for free.
But why destroy it instead of trying to take it apart and put it back together again!?!?!?!?

The idea is nothing new. This chessboard came out in the 1980s. Though I believe if required that the human player entered their moves.

3 Likes

Yup, I was thinking the same thing.

What a waste of a beautiful chessboard. I was going to show this to my kids, who love chess and are fascinated by the kickstarter board. But after seeing this, I’m disappointed.