What's the *worst* movie you've ever seen?

The “love” thematics with an attractive AI chatbot that appeared to have the emotional grasp of an adolescent were pretty creepy, but my gosh the movie was pretty and the music was good and I held my nose during all the freestyle digital jazzzzz, Dude.

Since we’re already talking about badgood and goodbad movies, I also enjoyed the stylistics and insanely great music of Beyond the Black Rainbow. Analog synths and my Kubrickian futuretro latex and drugged out Bakelite dreams. The plot, eh.

1 Like

For the 2015 remake of Point Break, the Critics Consensus on Rotten Tomatoes:

…the Point Break remake will be remembered as the first film to make audiences pine for the simultaneous presences of Keanu Reeves and Gary Busey.

9 Likes

You have definitely misunderstood. I was not complaining about the swearing, simply remarking that they took every possible opportunity to do so. Some was rather creative, the opening credits made me giggle, and other times it was a bit forced.

However, if one eff bomb is “gratuitous” to you, then you absolutely should stay far away from this movie. Your virgin ears are likely to burst into flames.

1 Like

It does seem so. You have three descriptive sentences in your paragraph about Deadpool: “not especially good,” “wasted no opportunity to swear,” and “my son […] will not be seeing this movie anytime [soon].”

I regarded those sentences as connected in some way: the first being connected to the second would imply that the swearing is what made it “not especially good;” the second being connected to the third would imply that the swearing was what made it inappropriate for a child to watch.

I can certainly see that your description of the movie still makes sense if you consider it as three completely disconnected opinions about the movie, as opposed to a train of thought, but that wasn’t immediately obvious. Certainly not to me.

Again, though, I apologize for my misinterpretation.

In an R-rated movie with an amoral protagonist who etc., hookers, etc., no, I wouldn’t say that one F-bomb in two hours would be gratuitous (although yes, I will admit, the swearing in Deadpool was gratuitous, often hilariously so). In a one-sentence reply in the midst of a civil discussion, though, yes, I found a single F-bomb gratuitous, particularly from someone who found the amount of profanity in an R-rated movie noteworthy.

Aw. As a bad movie, I loved Waterworld. I never saw the sequel, The Postman, cuz I worried it wouldn’t live up to the original. :sweat:

You mean it wasn’t? I paid to see that in IMAX. I want my money back. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I did, and do not. I wasn’t expecting anything approaching a good movie, and the soundtrack made me a Daft Punk fan forevah. Totes worth it! (except the so-called IMAX and glasses over my glasses thing)

4 Likes

3D glasses are the worst when you have to wear glasses already. *commiserates* :frowning:

(I was joking about wanting my money back, though. I enjoyed the movie Directors Edition Music Video a lot. Not enough to buy the movie but I have the album. ^_^)

3 Likes

That CD still inhabits my Prius, the one I paid a bit more for to get the ridiculously sub-base-y 1000W stereo.

Suffice it to say, I haven’t “listened” to anyone else’s music at a stoplight since I bought that car. :blush:

1 Like

I have a bit of a manifesto about this. In essence, schlock has to be unwitting (or at least not-originally-intentional) schlock in order to be enjoyable. Some years back there was a movie that was ostensibly a love letter to movies like Robot Monster and Plan 9 From Outer Space, but I don’t think I can quite remember the title. It was… hmmm… oh yeah, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra.

And I have to echo the words of Forrest Hartman from the Reno Gazette-Journal:

Watching campy movies can be almost as funny as as watching a well-written comedy. However, watching a movie that intentionally mimics bad filmmaking is excruciating.

One of these days I’ll find that manifesto and post it.

What I find unforgivable about both Waterworld and The Postman is that Kevin Costner single-handedly killed off the big-budget postapocalyptic epic for a generation. Both would have been perfectly serviceable little flicks in the hands of a John Carpenter or George Miller who knew how to wring the most bang from a small sack of dimes. Cut their running times down by at least a third, stick to small DIY practical effects, and fire the auteur/actor whose career-best performance was as the stiff in The Big Chill, and you got yourselves the makings of a badass Saturday-afternoon double feature.

Instead, the big takeaway wasn’t that Costner was the problem, but rather that the world wouldn’t buy tickets to big-budget postapocalyptic epics.

Ahem. All you gotta do is make 'em right:

7 Likes

I liked Tomorrowland; I assume the objections are from people who didn’t like Clooney playing 2nd fiddle to a strong young woman. If it killed the prospect of another Tron spinoff, so much the better.

1 Like

I haven’t heard any sexist criticisms of it? The Disney crowd isn’t really the action figure and tights-wearing bro set.

Maybe they could’ve gotten Wendy Carlos and Daft Punk to do the score for the next one :frowning:

I used to agree. I already have a big head, so there’s never quite enough room for my glasses 'neath the goggles… until I saw Fury Road at the Chinese Theater, and their new Laser 3D projection system is lovely and bright, and for the first time, I didn’t feel my glasses getting pinched beneath the goggles.

I hope their tech spreads to more theaters. I won’t watch 3D any other way.

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone is going to say, “I don’t like this movie because I hated the fact that the hero was a smart, strong young woman with lots of character,” though I’ve been known to underestimate people in the past. Some people said they thought the movie dragged, which is general true of movies where you don’t like the main characters.

3 Likes

That’s certainly an assumption.

For me, it was more the fact that it was long, uneven, and gave off an unpleasant whiff of objectivism, as Brad Bird films are wont to do.

2 Likes

I won’t watch 3D until it’s the same price as 2D. Or there’s a point to it. I can’t see it as anything other than a gimmick. Trying to push up ticket prices to compensate for falling attendances.

2 Likes

Only movies I ever saw where 3D improved them were Coraline and Avatar (Avatar in particular is pointless in 2D), but Fury Road looked so very good at the Chinese. It didn’t need the 3D, but since the 3D was so bright and smooth and non-irritating, I really enjoyed it. Didn’t mind the extra cost, though that was something like a $23 ticket. I go to the movies rarely enough that I can make it a special occasion kinda thing.

5 Likes

Still haven’t seen it. Still no plans to. It sounded pointless in any format.

7 Likes

One thing I loved about Fury Road:

Hugh Keays-Byrne, who played the main bad guy in Mad Max (1979), also played the main bad guy in Fury Road (2015).

36 years later.

7 Likes

It was an eyeful in 3D on a sufficiently large screen. Outside of that experience, it’s just Ferngully in Space. Not worth your time.

I can’t imagine ginning up any interest in seeing any of the sequels.

5 Likes

It’s visually fun. The environments are like flying thru Yes cover art. I admit to being curious about what Cameron has in mind for four (!) sequels; the man has a seeming golden touch.