What's the *worst* movie you've ever seen?

I hope you’ve also watched Gunn’s Slither!

4 Likes

I’m sure it’s already listed here, but “Water World” or Waterworld or whatever…world.

Sucked so bad. Me and a buddy were all set to walk out on it after giving it ten more minutes a few times to see if we were just see it wrong or something, but no , it sucked through and through.

We didn’t walk out. We stayed, and Booed. With everyone. Everyone was booing a movie and no one was complaining about that in a packed theatre.

Combo of truly bad film and huge promotional build-up = Robbed at screenpoint.

8 Likes

I cannot say that I have.

If it came out anytime around 2005 or the next few years thereafter, I was rather preoccupied. (Childbirthing, and the ensuing madness that is life after having offspring.

Luckily now I can stream pretty much anything that I missed back then; and these days, if its not too excessively gory or violent, Girlizmatic can join me…

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve always thought there was a great film in there waiting to be edited out. Such great set design, some awesome ideas (actually finding dry land not one of them). Recycling bodies for biomass, people who use engines called Smokers (there whole cigarette marketing tie-in thing was an abomination), the tri-maran. And Costner plays an unlikeable asshole throughout.

//cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/original/3X/6/2/627e8be3789366c74912420e9b53d88cdc77d43f.gif

2 Likes

That movie almost killed Kevin & Kevin’s bromance. Almost.

2 Likes

The Surfer Dude of Sherwood Forest is mostly only capable of being Kevin Costner. Waterworld is irredeemably awful. Possibly a tiny step above The Postman.

I watched Deadpool the other night. It was not especially good. Seems they wasted no opportunity to swear with what will likely be the only rated R Marvel movie. Entertaining in its way, but my son, who generally loves all things Marvel, will not be seeing this movie anytime in the next 5-7 years.

1 Like

Deadpool is rated R for, among other things, hookers, nudity, sex, gratuitous violence, and a thoroughly amoral protagonist who shoots the restrained, unarmed bad guy in the head because he’s not a plastic surgeon, and your primary concern with showing that movie to a child is profanity?

4 Likes

Forgive me for not fully elaborating while typing on a fucking phone.

9 Likes

Ah. I apologize for misunderstanding your comment. I will, however, note the irony of you using gratuitous profanity yourself so soon after complaining about the same.

2 Likes

There were a couple times in Deadpool when it seemed the swearing was there ONLY for the 12 year olds. Anyone older would simply cringe.

8 Likes

Actually, given that Deadpool has out-performed most of the comic book based movies that have come out thus far, it’s probably just the beginning of R-rated Marvel movies.

5 Likes

I finally caught that in the theater a few weeks ago as it finally made to the 2nd run shows.
Not sure that taking the 14yr old boy was the best idea but it was odd watching him shrug at the sexy times montage then hide his eyes at the strip club scene.
I enjoyed the juvenile tongue in cheek approach to the movie. It was a nice change.

2 Likes

…And you can extrapolate the trend, with Disney and Pixar jumping onto the bandwagon.

2 Likes

Follow the money…

2 Likes

And yet there will be no Tron 3, while the plot to 2 was butts, the soundtrack and aesthetic justified its existence. It was profitable! Just not insanely so :frowning:

5 Likes

Killed by the crappy Tomorrowland, apparently.

2 Likes

Yeah, don’t even get me started on the movie industry and all the fuckery that goes on.

I’m mainly ‘pro-Deadpool’ because of all the effort it took on the part of the fans and Ryan Reynolds to get the damn thing made without watering it down.

Had that the test footage not been leaked, it would probably still be stuck in production hell even as we type.

Then there’s the fact that I’ve read the comics, and the film essentially stayed true to the original source material, which is why it’s so profane, so snarky, and so meta; it’s all canon.

Of course, that is also why I went to see it solo; my kid has to wait a few years before she can watch it.

Tomorrowland had a kernel of a good idea therein, but the execution was severely lacking.

Still, Hugh Laurie’s monologue was quite good, if not much else:

2 Likes

A trolley within a trolley within a trolley.

Trollception.

7 Likes

My expectation for Tron 2 was an extended Daft Punk video, so I thought it was an okay film.

9 Likes

Not the worst… but I have to get this in here, because A) Controversial opinion time and B) This opinion happens to be correct.

LoTR. The whoooooole thing.

The Fellowship, The Two Towers, The Return of the King. The whooooole thing.

An Unexpected Journey, The Desolation of Smaug, and The Battle of the Five Armies.

All of it.

I don’t fault all of the fine people who worked on the costuming, the sets, or even a lot of the CGI. I don’t fault most of the actors, especially not Sean Bean, whose Boromir was spot the fuck on. In fact, the confluence of some excellent actors, great set design, and wonderful source material may have fooled you into thinking you were watching something pretty cool.

LoTR is balls. I’m saying this as someone who is normally okay with people taking a lot of liberties with the books, but it was clearly directed by someone who doesn’t understand them, or at lease someone who thinks he understands them. LoTR is more than just a fantasy world occupied by funny little men and hideous orcs. There’s a lot going on in the stories that isn’t picked up on at all. Some of the individual scenes were good, but the whole thing wasn’t put together cohesively and failed to touch on a lot of the more important themes in the books. It’s okay to interpret a book differently or to leave large chunks out or even incorporate events not in the story, but there has to be a kind of spiritual connection to the source material, some thematic link, for it to be a good adaptation. I really had issues with Jackson’s choices. For instance, he has these long slow motion lingering shots of Legolas or Aragorn doing something boring, but then has a lot of fast action sequences during the battles where you have no clue what the fuck is happening. All of the elves were, as my friend called them, “unisex Romulans.” Jackson could easily have taken advantage of the fact that the source material didn’t hold him to a rather typical depiction of elves and done something that was actually interesting. There are a lot of moments in the movies where I just wish he had gone in a different direction.

8 Likes