When Brad Birkenfeld blew the whistle on HBS, the US government paid him $104M and sent him to jail

Virtually Impossible = Virtually Possible

I havenā€™t said Iā€™m not going to vote, I might vote third party, or write in a Candidate. I take voting very seriously, and thatā€™s why I cannot vote for Hillary Clinton just because I dislike Donald Trump more than her. If I am going to give my vote to someone, it is because I want them to be president.

Donā€™t you dare accuse me of not taking voting seriously, just because I wonā€™t be voting for the candidate you like. Donā€™t you dare.

14 Likes

Blackmail works both ways brother. If you did not want Bushā€™s lousy wars and all then maybe you should have voted for Nader.

7 Likes

Okay, itā€™s an interesting situationā€“jailed and rewarded for the same initial act of providing evidence of criminal wrongdoingā€“but even a tiny little bit of critical awareness goes a long way here.

The part about the US government only being interested in prosecuting American citizens for tax evasion, which is being presented as suspicious, in fact makes an enormous amount of sense. If youā€™re a government with a ton of potential targets for legal action, thatā€™s one way youā€™d start selecting them: by identifying the ones you could prosecute without involving other countries.

Then thereā€™s the fact that he was prosecuted based on the information which he shared (and which qualified him for the reward). If he had evidence that incriminated himself, he could have arranged to provide it to the government under a grant of immunity. Why didnā€™t he? Itā€™s not because this financier-to-billionaires couldnā€™t afford a lawyer; itā€™s because signing away the reward would surely have been a condition of him coming to the authorities saying ā€œIā€™m part of a criminal conspiracy but I want to do the right thing.ā€

The idea that a Secretary of State doesnā€™t get involved in international criminal prosecutions isā€¦ absurd. That is in fact a great deal what the Secretary of State is responsible for, riding herd on violations of the law that concern matters that cross national boundaries. You canā€™t just sic your DOJ on other countriesā€™ citizens, particularly close allies, and have nobody mediating things with those peopleā€™s governments.

Just because dark shadowy oligarchical forces were in play doesnā€™t mean this guy has earned his halo. He was, after all, a part of themā€“sufficiently a part of them that he could be prosecuted. And rewards to people who turn in criminals often end up going to people with rather dirty hands themselves: the reward check is not a good conduct badge, itā€™s a legally regulated fee for services.

I donā€™t know much about this guy, but I wouldnā€™t read this, conclude heā€™s one of the good guys, accept his framing of the connections between money and politics uncritically, and just leave it at that. Heā€™s got $104,000,000 but heā€™s still giving interviews. He wants you to know that he ā€œdid it out of courageā€ and that he ā€œbeat the system.ā€ These are things youā€™re allowed to be skeptical about, since heā€™s nine figures richer out of the deal.

6 Likes

That VP candidate might end up being someone who is also horrible, like Scott Walker or John Kasich. (At least it probably wonā€™t be Cruz, since heā€™s hated too.)

5 Likes

HBS = Harvard Business School

Hey, at least youā€™ve got other options. Here in the UK weā€™re about to have a referendum on our continued membership of the European Union and the only two options are basically ā€œleaveā€ or ā€œmight as well leaveā€, and the two main campaigns are fronted by people I detest and people I canā€™t abide. And whatever the result, nobody is going to be happy.
I am going to vote, because itā€™s important. But Iā€™m going to have to do a lot more than just holding my nose when I doā€¦

(Please donā€™t take this as a personal slight on you; I respect your position very much. Voting should absolutely be taken seriously - the question is whether or not the system has grown up enough to respect the voter, and in the UK and the US Iā€™m pretty sure it hasnā€™t.)

7 Likes

Sorry but I should not have assumed you wouldnā€™t vote, but in the electoral college and a two party system the net effect is that same with write ins and pciking long, long shots.

4 Likes

I agree with you here, and I also want to apologize for responding so sharply. I can totally see where you could have gotten that I wasnā€™t planning on voting, I kind of said it earlier without meaning it, but that doesnā€™t really translate very well through text. I am definitely going to vote, just not for Hillary.

3 Likes

This is the odd thing. One would naively have thought the Dems would now select the candidate most likely to beat Trump. But they seem to be bent on selecting the machine candidate. The result is that the election is likely to be the maverick versus the Establishment.

Currently in the West the political systems seem to be delivering a range of candidates designed to frustrate the desires of the majority. It isnā€™t just the US: in the UK, France, Poland, Ukraine, Israel, Australia, and doubtless others I havenā€™t thought of or read enough about, the political choices on offer from the establishments seem almost uniformly bad. Weā€™re constantly told that anything like an alternative - Sanders in the US, Corbyn in the UK - simply isnā€™t going to happen or will in some unspecified way be bad for us. They will weaken our security (very popular).
Itā€™s obvious that the systems are deeply, institutionally corrupt. But what can individuals do? If the choice is between Trump and Clinton, there is simply no credible way of expressing dissatisfaction. But if Clinton loses, the Democrats may have to face themselves. If she wins, the machine simply rolls on till next time.

14 Likes

All I can say is you have to fight evil, and that means supporting the best candidate to defeat that evil.

1 Like

Good people donā€™t vote for evils, lesser or otherwise.

5 Likes

What if the electoral system itself is tainted and corrupt? How do you vote your way out of that mess?

8 Likes

America is far more pro-money than anti-terrorism.

As if we needed more proof :unamused:

Pricklepants, 2016!

I plan to write in Sanders in the general, but Iā€™m in a solidly blue district of a reliably blue state, so I have the luxury of a protest vote. However, as distasteful as I find Clinton Iā€™d still stifle my gag reflex and vote for her if I voted in a swing state or an iffy district.

6 Likes

I do not think that would have worked, but thank you for your suggestion.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what youā€™re referring to, but I have seen some people outraged because the Democrats only let Democrats vote in some of the Democratic primaries. Does that count as a tactic?

Wow! One more thing to keep my eye on.

I agree it is pretty dumb not to support Clinton given that the alternative is Trump.

But does it really matter what people here think about supporting Clinton?

What matters is what the electorate thinks. And the Democrats decided to back the ā€œsafeā€ candidate, rather than take a chance on the ā€œhopeless idealistā€.

Every day now this is looking like a more catastrophically bad decision.

Hilary is looking less electable by the minute. We know she is less crooked than Trump, but thereā€™s been a sustained campaign of character assassination against her for a long time now. Trump is wearing a badly fitting presidential suit but the Republicans are tailoring as best they can.

So yeah, I hope Clinton wins, but I wish the democrats had the guts to go with the only candidate who isnā€™t bought.

I hope Iā€™m proven wrong and Hilary slays it. I really do.

3 Likes

it could, sure. but really itā€™s the nyc voter purges, party affiliation changes in various states which didnā€™t take effect, iowaā€™s numerous count and recount issues, arizonaā€™s limited and targeted polling place locations, obscenely long lines in many places.

iā€™m willing to write some it off to the unexpectedly high turn outs, but it seems people across the board are willing to game elections if it helps their team win.

2 Likes