When paparazzo tried to sell nude photo of Sia, she shut down his "business" in the best way

Zero 7 is on my re-up musica list.

2 Likes

i love that she took back her own power over her own body, she is pretty amazing.

it is especially interesting that it is her, since she spent such a portion of her career obscuring her face and identity for privacy reasons. that makes this even more of a power move and adds an interesting subtext to the story.

It looks like she only released the blurred bait photo to take the wind out of his sails. Hopefully that is enough…it is a shame she even has to deal with this. God damn puritanical weirdness around nudity and sexuality…we all have bodies, even famous people.

17 Likes

Even though Sia posted the photo herself, I don’t think it should have been included in this post. IMHO, distributing the nude photo that was not released by choice is participating in the exploitation and sensationalism of what happened to her.

4 Likes

I learned of Sia through Puddles myself.

3 Likes

If that happens, she could counter with her own suit for culo-right infringement.

2 Likes

First the Zara workers sowing protests into the garments, and now this in the same day. Plus the a steady stream of sleaze bags getting 30- or 40- years of cumuppance in the background. Oh, take heart: smiting them all always was going to be a long job. But someone, somewhere seems to have started the ball rolling. Keep it going! Who’s next?

This made me love Sia more.

“Chandelier” hooked me, and then the video? Maddie Ziegler (the dancer) is what my brain thinks I look like when I dance, so I loved it even more. Now, when I hear a pop tune I really like, it’s usaully a Sia song. She makes ugly everyday life danceable.

6 Likes

You don’t know Luciano Papparazzi??? :anguished:

Sia is a class act. The pop world is better off because she exists. (And it helps that she has some amazing pipes.)

I’ve read numerous accounts that she crazy costumes like this that hide her face because she’s self conscious and actively tries to avoid the limelight. At 41 years old, Sia is an old lady as far as pop performers go.

10 Likes

Actually, the correct singular is parasite.

Hit men and slave traffickers too.

You’re missing out.

Ah, but you see a woman’s virtue is her chastity, because a woman’s value is as a broodmare and dick-socket for man-boys. /s

11 Likes

You are not the only one… and the autotune vocals honestly make me go NOPE. Sounds like bog standard dance/club songs from the radio station at the kids school.

Not gonna hate on it, just not my thing.

3 Likes

I like that about 500 times more than the other songs posted.

4 Likes

The picture is a very low res of the back of a woman who could be almost anybody. It’s not exactly sensational.
These people - and I mean media owners, not the low-lifes who do their bidding - only have power because people in public life want to curate their images. If the people concerned show they don’t care, the power of the media owners actually gets less. You could say that the only way to avoid the exploitation of nude pictures is to normalise public nudity.
I offer it as an argument, not as a definite position I would want to defend.

2 Likes

Dies laughing…

5 Likes

One of her more amazing recent moments was with her song “The Greatest”, which is a fun pop tune along the lines of Katy Perry’s “Roar” seemingly about being awesome and having lots of stamina. Then the video came out — and it was clearly an homage to the Orlando Pulse club shooting. And it changed the entire context of the song forever.

6 Likes
1 Like

Maybe not, but pictures of similar quality and recognizability are constantly being used as click bait, and for all the poor quality it was deemed marketable. Pics like this are enough to generate traffic.

But people do care, and there isn’t anything wrong with that. I don’t want nude photos of me publicly available, and I’m willing to wager that you don’t want nude photos of yourself widely available either.

That’s the part that I don’t like about the post. Sia was put into the position of either trying to supress the images or publicise them. I think she did what she could to flip the situation, and that’s good.

You could say that. But if it’s not a choice, it’s exploitive, isn’t it?

That’s fine. This is just my take on the situation.

4 Likes

The hysterical, beautiful irony is that she’s now officially cultivated a market where a photo of her face is worth more than one of her bikini bits.

7 Likes

I was relentlessly hunted by paparazzi once. I was dating this girl, Dianne Razzi…

Seriously, though, Sia is fucking awesome and brilliant and keeps getting better ever time I hear about something she does.

I hear ya’. And for me, were I the one blogging about it, it’s a difficult choice. On the one hand I want to respect her agency and take my cue as to how to proceed from her. It’s a bad situation she had to cope with, but at the same time I want to respect her choice in how she dealt with it. On the other hand, I don’t want to feed click-bait culture. If I were in Carla’s shoes, I think my solution would be to leave the link to her tweet, but not post the tweet with the picture myself; I might reach out to Sia and ask what she preferred, but I’m sure the artist has a publicist and filters messages and thus might not have time to respond to every blogger’s request for guidance. I share your discomfort with the approach, but I do see why Carla went ahead with it.

4 Likes