When paparazzo tried to sell nude photo of Sia, she shut down his "business" in the best way

I can see where you’re coming from and I don’t totally disagree, but if it were me, I’d leave it out entirely and let the folks who went looking for the image be responsible for that and what part their actions might be playing in the whole thing.

3 Likes

Thanks; I hadn’t seen that.

4 Likes

I like the Time Warp at the end of Cheap Thrills, but watching swing dancing to a samba beat made my brain itch.

I know I shouldn’t be needed; it must be said: She really does have a delightful backside. It maybe that since it doesn’t show her face, she wasn’t that bothered by it.

Also: That is blurred photo? Was it taken at point-blank range or are non-glassed cameras gotten that much better???

Was it clearly about the shooting? I definitely missed that.

I don’t think Sia’s officially said anything, but most people are interpreting it that way given when it was released, the number of dancers in the video and what happens in the video.

1 Like

Repurposed …iirc the interview in nymag was only a little coy in deference to fansplaining.

2 Likes

I’m the definition of uncool when it comes to pop music, but for some reason Sia broke through my obliviousness and I began to seek her stuff out some time around Chandelier. She has a distinctive voice, writes her own music (and others) which is always a big plus for me, and in my selective exposure to pop culture she somehow manages to constantly pop up on my radar. She even appeared on Survivor a couple of seasons back. And by all indications she’s a wonderful, charitable and endearingly quirky person.

4 Likes

Isn’t EDM just a marketing term for electronic music you can dance to? No-one tries to claim that Woody Guthrie sounds like Napalm Death because their songs have guitars in them. Likewise, this sounds nothing like Titanium

2 Likes

Nothing about Facebook can surprise me any more. Every time you think it can’t go any lower in intrusion, it turns out they had a whole new Mariana Trench waiting.

4 Likes

I take your point, so perhaps I should say Mainstream techno? Specifically the hook where the drums go quarter notes, eighth notes, sixteenth notes and then back to quarter with bass and melody chiming in. It has been in thousands of dance tunes. It is a fun (but super derivative) hook.

And mine. I was thinking, in fact, of homosexuality. When it was illegal, it could be used as a tool of State suppression and be used by newspapers and other media to attack people who challenged them.

Now, nobody of any importance cares any more. There is a story* of the vile and disgusting UK rag the Daily Mail. They heard that a gay couple had taken over a pub in a village in the Home Counties and sent out a reporter to get a reaction. The first doorstep the reporter tried, the woman said “You’re from that horrible newspaper, aren’t you? I’m not having you upset the people running our pub.” And then as he tried elsewhere nobody was coming to the door and he realised she was warning others by phone.

This was the point at which the editor of the DM realised that the game was up on one of their most reliable shock horror lines, and that it was turning off the sort of people who read their newspaper.

*which I was told by someone who claimed to know the reporter in question; it may not be reliable but it possibly encapsulates what was really happening around then.

1 Like

Since it’s a techno song that was a major mainstream success I think that’s probably fair without much analysis. Fundamentally within the broad range of sounds that human beings could perceive almost everything we’d call music is pretty similar. But saying that two mainstream songs sound basically the same is sort of like saying you can’t tell redheads apart.

Given that the hook and general formula is the same or very similar across (not even kidding) thousands of songs, what I’m saying is more like: There’s a lot of Redheads.

I vaguely recall that Leslie Jones ran that line on SNL after a major celebrity nudes release

3 Likes

Urg. I wonder when autotune goes out of fashion again.

Vocal effects have been around for many many decades; auto-tune is just the most recent and popular. The vast majority of “Chandelier” is simply sung; I have no problem with three or four seconds of auto-tune to add some effect at a few points of the song, any more than I’d have a problem with a guitar or keyboard using a different tone now and again.

4 Likes

That song is a lot better than the rest. Still don’t really get the ‘unique voice’ bit. Sounds about like 90% of the other pop singers to me. But to each his own I guess.

True. effects can be nice. Even autotune. it is just very overused atm. imho of course.

I hear a lot more autotune in that song than 3 or 4 seconds though.

This is true in 2017, definitely; when Sia first started appearing with Zero7 and her early solo stuff, there was really nobody out there who sounded like her or wrote her kind of songs. But since she’s had massive hit after massive hit, I’ve heard a dozen new female singers (often singing over the end credits of movies) that do a really good Sia impression!

2 Likes