Where all your nice ripe tomatoes disappeared to this summer

Originally published at: Where all your nice ripe tomatoes disappeared to this summer | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Ah. And here I thought it was squirrels.

13 Likes

That’s an odd looking groundhog.

9 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOawGcot93E

10 Likes

The doggo’s efforts put me in mind of bobbing for apples.

2 Likes

Biggest tomato worm I’ve ever seen.

4 Likes

My grandparents had a farm dog, a German Shepherd. Sam would eat almost anything (my grandfather raised hogs, and I watched Sam eat things that came out of and off of hogs that still makes my stomach churn to think about). She got regular dog food, supplemented by table scraps. She loved table scraps. However, she would always eat everything but … tomatoes.

So this video is a surprise to me.

5 Likes

Well, they aren’t red/green colorblind (“It’s the smell, in’t it? Dat nose knows whos da ripest”)

Raspberries. Our delightful family dog, a Norwegian Elkhound, loved raspberries. The utterly adroit action of gently grasping them with the teeth and then backing away until they came loose was amazing to watch.

9 Likes

my shepherd likes broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts. which is convenient because those are the only foods I actively dislike.

7 Likes

I suspect your dog of being the mythical no-nosed dog.

(How does it smell? Well, eating all those brassicas … AWFUL!)

:wink:

3 Likes

Nope, it’s frickin’ squirrels.

They like to take a bite out of one, then a different one the next day. It can’t be that they don’t like them, because they keep coming back, and I’ve seen them carrying green ones away.

5 Likes

I had a Golden eat all of my tulip blossoms (not the bulbs) one year; I too was blaming the squirrels until I saw her with a suspiciously pouchy muzzle, and said “Leave it!”, and she spat out a tulip flower.

11 Likes

Dog gone it!

I know it was squirrels :imp:

(Three of them, in fact, all relocated outside the neighborhood.)

6 Likes

Great if it works! They’d be replaced by others in a heartbeat where I live.

6 Likes

Need a single-panel comic which depicts neighbor_A “relocating” some live-trapped fuzzy annoyance into neighbor_B’s area at the same time that neighbor_B is moving the same sort to neighbor_A’s area. But the artistry required far exceeds mine

4 Likes

We had a border collie that did the same; all the “low hanging fruit” would be gone. Neighbour had a GSD who would pull carrots out of the garden and eat them

3 Likes

Maybe she ate a squirrel that ate the tulips, but wasn’t willing to spit out the squirrel?

2 Likes

My flatmate’s labrador goes round the garden, picking up any fallen green tomatoes she can find. But instead of eating them, she just walks around with them in her mouth.
She’s very delicate, there’s not a single tooth mark on them, but I have no idea why she feels a need to carry something in her mouth all the time (it’s usually a ball of some sort).

4 Likes

The retriever is strong in that dog.

My dog couldn’t eat tomatoes, always gave him an upset tummy

1 Like