Dog thinks he's a bunny and also wants lettuce, now cat wants some too

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/26/dog-thinks-hes-a-bunny-and-a.html

9 Likes

My most recent dog (gone a couple months now) liked most crunchy vegetables, including the stems of lettuce, carrots, and especially red bell pepper.

Previous dog eschewed vegetables by themselves (if she could snarf from a plate though, anything was fair game), except when we were pet-sitting my friend’s guinea pigs. When they got carrots, she had to have carrots too.

7 Likes

I think this is how Bunnicula starts…

13 Likes

Inspirational. Anyone can aspire to do great things. Such as being a bunny.

7 Likes

What kind of lettuce - iceberg is dangerous for rabbits so I just keep all lettuce away.

1 Like

Yeah, some of my dogs have been fond of crunchy vegetables, which is sometimes problematic - I’ve gone outside to find the dog gnawing on the end of a broccoli or cauliflower stem, for instance. Often they’ve just been following me around, watching to see what I pick and then later helping themselves. They tend to be less crazy about lettuce leaf unless there’s dressing, though.

5 Likes

My dogs love 90% of carrots, but then every once in a while I’ll put out a carrot and they’ll sniff it gingerly and then walk away. To my inferior human sense, the carrot looks fine. I would eat it myself without a second thought.

But they know better. That carrot is no good.

9 Likes

Bunny, dog, and cat… all eating together. These are, indeed, their “salad days”.

17 Likes

It looks like a spring mix. I think that’s a mustard leaf being handed to the cat.

2 Likes

Our dog likes cabbage and ignores lettuce. Testing done when I am careless and prepping food.

4 Likes

I’m afraid those salad days will come to an end if kitty starts craving hasenpfeffer. :smirk_cat:

3 Likes

Had a cat once that would want anything I ate, regardless of taste or nutrition. If I sat on the couch eating Doritos and Pepsi, he would eat them too. (He liked Doritos a lot, not so much Pepsi.) Once I opened a can of peas, and he ran in, hearing the can opener. Even after he saw it was peas, he insisted on eating some.
None of the other cats I knew begged for table scraps that were not cat-appropriate. Fish, poultry, dairy - I expect to share those. Canned vegetables, tho…

6 Likes

6 Likes

Our cat loves spicy things, and also Cheetos dust. She’ll sit and lick it off my wife’s fingers.

4 Likes

We had a dog that would pick her own peas right out of the garden.

Come to think of it, we’ve had a lot of animals with odd dietary habits.

8 Likes

Hopefully not the Peckinpah version.

4 Likes

Dogs we’ve had seem to come in two varieties: happy little omnivores who’ll try anything their humans eat (Molly the terrier and Danny the shi tzu) and selective eaters who sample some things and turn their noses up at others (Shasta the spaniel/terrier and Sheba the hound/terrier.)

But when there’s two of them, you’d better offer the second whatever you give the first, whether they’re willing to eat it or not… otherwise they get jealous. It tended to work out anyway, since whatever Shasta would ignore, Molly would wind up grabbing once she lost interest. Danny loved cooked spaghetti, but Sheba still doesn’t acknowledge it’s food. Pizza was universally adored.

5 Likes

canonically, the sign of the apocalypse is dogs and cats living together, but someone just had to get creative.

5 Likes

Eh, that’s happened already. In his previous home, my Danny had two feline brothers who he accepted without question. Which made it interesting when he wanted to befriend stray cats on our walkies, as they didn’t feel the same towards him. Poor puppy always seemed so bewildered by their hissing at him…

7 Likes

It looks to me like Arthur the bunny is terrified of being in the middle and he’s falling back on his one defense mechanism: eating his feelings.

2 Likes