Where does it end?

1 Like

Would that really be a surprise?

…aaaand there goes the last solitary shred of respect I may have had for Takei.

I was going to ask at what point do we consider forgiveness. Because, you know, 36 years ago.

But then he goes and blames it on the Russians.

Rot in hell Takei.

JHC Not Al Franken too.

ire774JM

1 Like

Deep thoughts with Jack Can’t-Keep-His-Hands-To-Himself.

Notice too that in his excuse he’s vainly attempting to skirt being called a lying liar.

1 Like

Yo

1 Like

Honestly, this doesn’t surprise me at all.

1 Like

Have none of these accusers ever been assaulted or harassed by anyone not famous? I’m not doubtful of their veracity, but Joe College who tried to date rape you or Uncle Fester who was too handsy with you at age six should be called out, too.

4 Likes

Those people get called out all the time. In fact just days ago hundreds of women held a “#MeToo” protest in Hollywood during which many bore signs naming their (mostly non-famous) attackers.

It just doesn’t make national news when someone comes forward about being sexually assaulted by Fratboy Jones 20 years ago.

16 Likes
10 Likes

I understand that, but given the cult of celebrity, the people cursed with it would pay attention to an actor who calls out others who had abused them along with the famous and powerful. It might hit close to home, and maybe they’d realize it’s all around us. The #MeToo march, if it registered at all with people outside of the industry or LA, might only have been the faintest of blips on their screens.

Not sure if I’m making sense. I have a lot of difficulty putting my thought into words. And FFS, you posted 22 minutes ago and it took me 21 to type these few lines. I’m exhausted. :slightly_frowning_face:

Also:

11 Likes

Several celebrities have come forward about being sexually assaulted by non-famous people, but that too tends to get less press than abuse committed by famous people. Drew Carey, Rita Hayworth, Axl Rose, Billy Connolly, Ashley Judd and Roseanne Barr are just a handful of the celebrities who have gone public about being survivors of sexual abuse, often by family members.

5 Likes

That’s very true, but I think I was not clear. I should have said, “at the same time,” or “during the same press conference,” or “in the same tweet,” etc., rather than, “along with.”

As a child, 50 years ago, I learned the police will do fuck all about a report of sexual assault on a minor, it was reinforced 42 years ago - twice. 28 years ago I didn’t bother reporting a man I had just met at an event follow me to the parking lot and punch me in the face and side of my head for declining to go home with him. By 20 years ago, I did not consider the police as an option, I went to the guys at my local.

4 Likes

Wait, what?

I’ve never once felt pressured to sexually harass anyone. Yeah, I know I cannot project my experience onto all men, but this seems like a stretch.

1 Like

I feel like a broken record sometimes. Just because you admire someone’s artistry and/or politics does not mean they are exempt from toxic masculinity/patriarchy. Given the vast phenomenon of #MeToo while simultaneously considering the math involved, why in god’s name would your idols with power be exempt? They may not have raped or grabbed a pussy, but they very well may have harassed, without even realizing they did so (see also: toxic patriarchy).

This is a rare opportunity for us all. If almost every woman you know has at least one story, what does that mean about our culture?

11 Likes

For example:

• Machismo.
  • Jock culture.
  • Wolf-whistling.

Yeah, some of that is not as pervasive and accepted as it used to be. However…

• Media. TV, cinema, games, literature. For a relatively innocuous classical example, think of Romeo below Juliet’s balcony. For something a bit more modern:

Or:

These are the nice examples. I can drag up toxic shit if I have to, but there’s already enough of that in this thread.

8 Likes

8 Likes