Where does it end?

Off the top of my head, The Graduate and Brazil are both movies where the hero is a stalker and the stalking is most of the story.

5 Likes

"The Crusty Paw"

There will be a card deck soon enough.

5 Likes

That is going to be the Calvinball of card games.

2 Likes

Those are examples of bad behavior, granted, but look at it from another angle: There’s movies and books and games where you are expected to sympathize with murderers, thieves, liars, all sorts, but very few where ‘rapist’ doesn’t instantly mean ‘evil forever.’

I don’t want to let these asshats off the hook even by a milimetre. The culture may be sending really really stupid unacceptable messages about courtship (i.e. where being a stalker demonstrates your unduying loyalty &c) but it also sends a pretty unambiguous signal that raping people is always wrong. They don’t get to claim that they are just the products of their environment.

They knew what they were doing. They knew it was wrong. They did it anyway.

1 Like

Charlie freaking Rose. Wow.

1 Like

mad-carrie-b

7 Likes

They should have Charlie Rose interview Charlie Rose about this matter. I would watch that.

1 Like

Anyone noted Glenn Thrush yet?

And Dunham-by-association:

3 Likes

Not to take away from the main thrust of your post but:

obligatory TVTropes black hole warning.

4 Likes

For a few examples off the top of my head, some overt, some disguised:

Cabaret (“he pounced!”)
Any Anne McCaffery book
Any John Norman book
A hell of a lot of other SF and Fantasy novels
Quite a lot of teen sex comedies (Porky’s, Revenge of the Nerds, Teen Wolf, etc.)
Most romantic cinema during the Hays Code era

4 Likes

Well, I think those are a bit of a special case… :slight_smile:

Minnie’s Pissed

“In a memo obtained by USA TODAY, Lasseter wrote to staff Tuesday saying that he’s stepping down following “painful” discussions. The news broke as The Hollywood Reporter was compiling a report into alleged sexual misconduct.”

2 Likes

2 Likes
5 Likes

Not only where does it end, but what can be done to solve the problem?

Republican Dick Pic Authentication

"Rep. Joe Barton (R-Texas) admitted that a nude picture of him circulating online is authentic and apologized to his constituents.

“While separated from my second wife, prior to the divorce, I had sexual relationships with other mature adult women”

“mature adult women” = “Hey, I’m not an accused pedophile from Alabama! Thoughts? Prayers?”

5 Likes

This is the time of year to reflect on how thankful I am that I have never, ever felt the urge to send someone a photo of my junk.

(Pretty sure other people in my life are thankful for that too.)

9 Likes

How fitting that it is also the time of year when it will occur to many that right now is the time to send someone a photo of their junk. :slight_smile:

What the hell? Why is this shit attempt at an excuse still around?

11 Likes
4 Likes