Which right-wing nut is a better crooner?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/10/which-right-wing-nut-is-a-bett.html

2 Likes

That’s stunningly on-brand for Shapiro, although I’m sure it’s not intentional.

He’s singing the villain song of an inflexible, pitiless authoritarian who thinks that the poor and dispossessed need to be kept in line with harsh punishment, while enabling the cruelty of the wealthy class. Someone who is then utterly broken when his adversary, who he sees as a criminal who must be stopped at all costs, actually proves to be far more compassionate and forgiving than he could ever be.

Once again, self-awareness is obviously not his strong suit.

26 Likes

I think it’s pretty obvious which one of them’s got the best flow.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Totally agree with what you said, but I have to admit (to my fairly-amateur ears) his singing seems pretty decent. Now if only he went into that full time and shut up about politics…

3 Likes

Can Canadians play (don’t worry, he’s plenty right-wing) ?
https://youtu.be/58nyP7qq5Hw

2 Likes

He comes from a very musical family. His father’s a composer, his sister is a professional opera singer, and he was quite gifted on the violin as a child.

6 Likes

I’ll resist the temptation to say, “Who cares?”

3 Likes

Yeah, Javert was a law-and-order candidate.

2 Likes

12 Likes

Fine with me if he totally commits to the character and throws himself off a bridge because he can’t abide the dilemma of being unable to act lawfully without acting immorally.

1 Like

The guy on bass was a co-worker and friend of mine. Harper invited him to his home to jam with him several times (keyboard, guitar). He was amused that he got to be alone with the PM, after all kinds of security, of course.

4 Likes

On the “Behind the Bastards” podcast they’re slowly making their way through his super-racist and horribly written potboiler action novel every month or two (start here). Ben basically poured all of the insecurities and bigotry that he couldn’t otherwise admit to in his punditry into the fictional wish-fulfillment story.

One of the funniest running jokes in their reading is the obsession of the approx. 5’7" Shapiro with every single one of his characters’ heights. Basically, heroic male characters are tall (like Ben wants to be) and ladies and villainous characters (with the exception of big scary Black men) are short .

2 Likes

And this is why we need to support school funding for the arts, if he had ended up as a middle school band teacher we would never have to listen to him.

7 Likes

Did he forego the pants in that performance too?

1 Like

Ben Shapiro got more action reciting those lyrics than he’s ever had in years I bet.

1 Like

Cool…the band’s pretty good, to my untutored taste. You’d think a little “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” could rehabilitate Harper’s cardigans and kittens image, but no…

I mean, would you want to sleep with someone who has no understanding of sexual arousal?? LOL

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1292927011724304384?s=20

2 Likes

He tried the “play you like a fiddle” line a few too many times, a little too robotically

2 Likes

Shapiro’s voice is ok. The rest of them were pretty bad.