White chocolate is technically not chocolate

It seems like people either like it or they hate it. I think it just tastes like some kind of approximately chocolate consistency sugar gunk and I avoid it. I know other people who think it’s amazing. Not so many people who are ambivalent about it.

1 Like

I don’t know about amazing. I like it though.

1 Like

The ringworm is neither a ring nor a worm. It is a fungus.

The fishstick is neither a fish nor a stick. It is a fungus.

– Matt Groening

6 Likes

When I was a kid I kind of liked Zero bars, but as an adult if it’s not dark and bitter, do not want.

Those are overly sweet. I would still eat one if I could find it but my one source when they have it also has much more tempting dark chocolate and stout truffles.

1 Like

Dark chocolate and stout truffles… now you’re speaking my language. I don’t eat a lot of sweets, but that sounds pretty fantastic.

1 Like

But does white chocolate contain tyramine?

3 Likes

K. I’m suspecting you missed the part where I didn’t say white chocolate was objectively bad. I said I hate it. I appreciate that for some reason, you have a sore spot for white chocolate criticism. But not everyone who doesn’t like white chocolate (including me) hasn’t had a properly prepared version of it. I have been to Jacques Torres’ Choco-Story NY in Manhattan. You can be informed and still think it’s absolutely terrible. I do take solace, though, that at some point, I may anger a pastry chef by expressing my honest opinion.

Not sugary sweet although it has coconut palm sugar.
Spicy. A bit.
Delicious in hot whole cow’s milk, hot almond milk, etc.

https://www.righteouslyrawchocolate.com/product/rawcholatl-cacao-drink/

Sometimes I add more cinnamon. I love real cinnamon (from Sri Lanka).

2 Likes

I had a friend in grade school with an allergy who could only eat these Pepperidge Farm “chocolate chip cookies” and the cookies tasted ok to me, but even then as a kid I knew I’d be sticking to dark chocolate given the choice.

I wonder if people with allergies to cocoa can get by unprocessed, organic cacao nibs. Maybe there’s a subset of folks for whom the allergy is the alkali (“dutch cocoa process”) and not the poor ol’ lovable Theobroma cacao itself.

Otoh, this, ouch:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/theobroma-cacao
Some people are definitely reactive, Zoiks!

2 Likes

4 Likes

Mmm. ■■■■■

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.