White House issues report on President Obama's impact on science and tech

[Read the post]

2 Likes

“The President is awesome!” – The President.

11 Likes

Yeah, I’d like to get an unbiased appraisal of this impact.

6 Likes

21 Likes

Just be sure to ignore the economic science showing how secret trade deals hurt our economy. Also, you’ll need to gloss over the science of sociology which informs us that secret laws and secret courts harm our democracy and the inevitable negative impact on our people when we begin to lock up people for profit and surveille all citizens looking for more people to lock away.

9 Likes

I will never get sick of that photo with the pleased kid, and Obama just making that “Holy shit!” face.

7 Likes

But did the President do even one thing to encourage the next generation of hedge fund managers? We need magnet schools, all across the nation, to bolster our lead in vampire capitalism, one of our nation’s most important exports.

9 Likes

Not only is this bragging, it’s really bad bragging.

1 Like

From this list here’s a 100-word Thesaurus for weak-sauce:

elevated
boosted
connected
elevated
established
created
enacted
increased
advanced
made
promoted
made
opened
harnessed expanded
prioritized
strengthened
elevated
called
encouraged
expanded
increased
worked
created
unlocked
supported
launched
promoted
invested
launched
fostered
supported
prioritized
supported
enabled
accelerated
cut
expanded
prioritized
created
worked
made
supported
embarked
invested
improving
began
developed
issued
launched
approved
bolstered
worked
launched
assisted
engaged
contributed
improved
issued
created
set
encouraged
created
enhanced
improved
encouraged
deployed
advanced
created
promoted
expanded
improved
expanded
accelerated
championed
used
gave
expanded
launched
created
created
launched
developed
fostered
drove
extended
expanded
helped
strengthened
deployed
promoted
challenged
enhanced
advancing
used
improved
minimized
developed
carried
enhanced

How about credit for “first”? First what? Human?

We are all citizens, helping this fascistic nightmare work, or we aren’t. You first.

Thanks, Obama!

1 Like

What are you talking about, STEM will save us all. No need for those pesky humanities/social sciences majors telling us about the horrible state of US society, the political roots of climate change, and the shitty legacy of neoliberalism.

3 Likes

The best President and i proud he’s never been to school in Indonesia, my country, Thanks Oba/]/]a!

We can certainly be huge pessimists about this - and that it’s a humble brag - or we could be super pumped that even though you/I/we don’t love everything he’s done he actually has made a point of getting kids into science. Which I believe is his science legacy. Obama has very successfully played the dual role of social motivator and politician, and tried to keep them as separated as possible because the political affiliation of some kids parents shouldn’t matter if they’re interested in science.

1 Like

I’m not being pessimistic; I’m being cynical. Give me this same report, or an analysis of it, from a more neutral source and I’ll be cheering for what he’s done. I just don’t want to base my perception of what the President has done for science solely on what the President (or the White House, which amounts to the same thing) says he’s done for science.

2 Likes

This reads like my quarterly goal review… it’s not bragging, but it’s using more boisterous and uselessly jargoned words to describe what was done.
Sort of like: “Did my job” Doesn’t really hit the mark with my employer… it has to be "Defined and delivered the rigorous steps taken to complete my projects on-time with 98% accuracy and by AAA standards within the realm of God this type of sentence makes my eyes bleed.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.