White House source: Stephen Miller revels in the misery and terror of separated children, "He’s Waffen-SS"

The really interesting omission is that Trump hasn’t gone after Stormy Daniels’ lawyer Michael Avenatti. Just think of all the people he has attacked and what Avenatti has said about Trump - yet not a single tweet.

I suspect Trump is terrified of Avenatti.

And that thought warms my black heart.

11 Likes

Certainly Putin seems to practice “Implausible deniability.” He makes utterly unbelievable statements and the fact that people pretend that they are believable is proof of his power.

4 Likes

The Waffen SS, as evil as they were, at least showed some willingness to enter into front-line combat

The implication is one of zealotry. Calling Miller (Mueller, in German!) an SS might allow him to be one of those (very) few innocuous officiaries; making him Waffen-SS leaves no room for such angling. The Waffen-SS were the all-volunteer, all-zealot force vetted for “racial purity”, given all the elite toys to implement a policy of innumerable atrocities. (The exception being post-1943 when the Waffen-SS started forcibly conscripting males from certain occupied territories.)

Also, do you really want to give any “credit” to the sociopaths and deranged zealots who actually implemented those the atrocities over the sociopaths and deranged zealots who preferred to meticulously plan, enable, and oversee said atrocities?

Just a thought.

I doubt it. The only implication I take away from his quote someone who’s ignorant of history and who heard the term “Waffen SS” once and thought it would make him sound smarter or cooler than just saying “SS”.

The Waffen SS, as the name implies, was instituted as a front-line combat force that participated in atrocities as a sideline (because SS). The Allgemeine SS’s primary purposes were internal security and racial policing in their many forms, with all the day-to-day atrocities that implies.

Miller is the equivalent of the Allgemeine SS desk jockey whose primary job was to (zealously) formulate plans but not get his hands bloody in any way. The distinction I was making was one of function, not relative virtue.

The SS (Waffen SS included) was properly judged post-war to be a criminal organisation. No-one involved (not very few – no-one), including those who were drawn into it reluctantly (e.g. many formerly non-political police officials and the later conscripts) ended up as an “innocuous” participant in such an organisation, least of all anyone who spoke to the country’s leader on a regular basis or kept busy drawing up deportation plans (and imprisonment and extermination plans, etc.).

No, that’s why I noted that the Waffen SS were evil, too, when drawing the distinction. Perhaps read a bit more closely next time before implying something offensive about the person to whom you’re responding. Just a thought.

3 Likes

Point(s) taken. Except you did say:

“At least they showed some willingness.” Again: So what? So what they wanted to directly effect atrocities rather than push paper to delegate it to others? I’m not going to give them that credit.

And, yes, of course, the SS was a criminal organization. But within that organization there is some guy who isn’t as dirty as the most “clean” Waffen-SS; if he’s going to be in either place, he’s going to be in the SS. The Waffen-SS was necessarily “dirtier,” if only by reputation.

And this is a very perilous distinction to be making.

To make the distinction between fanatics who willingly joined the organisation to fight foreign soldiers opposing the Reich in combat and the fanatics who willingly joined the organisation to torture and murder civilians in prison and police cellars and hospital wards and ghettos and concentration camps.

I highly disagree with that contention. Eichmann alone demonstrated that, within the same parent organisation, a paper-pushing Lt. Col. who’d toss his cookies at the sight of dead people could do far more evil and murder more people than a front-line combat unit Lt. Col. with a reputation as a dirty stone-cold killer (Skorzeny comes to mind here).

Again, atrocities were supposed to be a sideline for the Waffen SS but were the primary business of the Allgemeine SS. That’s why I don’t find the distinction in function so “perilous.”

1 Like

One of my grandfather’s few war stories was about him asking why the one German soldier was standing alone in the corner looking very wary. Apparently as much as the allied GIs would have loved to had a few minutes in the shed with the SS soldier they had to take a number after the German conscript soldiers. Nobody liked those assholes.

7 Likes

The Waffen SS soldiers knew how loathed they were and would sometimes try to switch into Wermacht uniforms, but the Allies found a way to confirm what many of them were when the regular army conscripts ratted out those they suspected:

7 Likes

[that_guy]

Are you sure you’re not thinking of the Allgemeine SS? The W-SS were the field force which - apart from 3rd Div - didn’t have much to do with the camps. Although … there was a bit of to and fro as broken W-SS dudes went to the camps to recover, then rotated back to the W-SS. And there were plenty of W-SS divs that were fux0ringly hopeless at anything other than raping civilians. Handschar, I’m looking at you. And you too, Florian Geyer.

It’s a bit of a myth that the W-SS got all the shiny kit. Generally they had to beg borrow and steal kit looted from the occupied countries, and ended up with a baffling array of small arms and support weapons. They had kewl uniforms though, so there’s that :roll_eyes:

You are completely correct about forced conscription after '43. The same thing happened in the ‘elite’ luftwaffe parachute divisions - after Cassino they really weren’t all that elite, and after Normandy they definitely weren’t.
[/that_guy]

But yeah; fuck miller. With a pineapple.

7 Likes

OH NOES HE HAS A LAWYER

4 Likes

Well Trump is known for hiring the kind of lawyer that is notably better at writing hyperbolic threatening letters than they are at writing cogent legal briefs.

5 Likes

Perhaps the SS Lebensborn office would be more appropriate. After all, they were in the kidnapping business. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebensborn

1 Like

Yeah, well. Not all of us joined the Dark Side, although I’m pretty sure we were all close enough at some point.

I found this new photo of mr Miller:

1 Like

https://twitter.com/discordiankitty/status/1009703258028412930?s=21

7 Likes

Dis Miller as much as you want, but POTUS has always supported him. Your vile president is all in with Miller.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.