White, right-wing terrorist busted...and hardly a peep

The charges are going to be dropped here also.

1 Like

Everything except for a couple weapons charges were dropped. I suspect most white supremists are long on bluster, short on action.

4 Likes

And hire him as a commentator.

4 Likes

The word “terrorist” has always referred to the way governments treated their citizens. It still does, although the concept is reversed in most people’s perception.

3 Likes

You expect CNN to report news? The Daily Show caught it.

CNN isn’t the opposite of Fox. CNN is an expression of that other right wing, the wing of corporate mediocrity

6 Likes

Yet another example of white male privilege.

2 Likes

But I thought idiots making self-incriminating posts was what facebook was for!

3 Likes

Talbot is a violent Christian fundamentalist who advertised his intention to murder people wholesale.

I have did not see that he called himself a Christian in the original article or in the other (albeit few) posts that I read about this. Just curious where that came from.

Granted, I think that he missed the point of the religion if that is the case.

1 Like

So, if I read this right: a lone kook posts to facebook that he wants to start a race war…oh, and he’ll need to rob some armored cars to do it. So he finds someone on the internet who sells him what he thinks is ‘C4’, but apparently is just clay or some such. He and the three agents he thinks are co-conspirators look at a map he drew, he tells them how to block the truck so he can apply the C4 and then they arrest him en route. Probably from within the same car.

Glad they stopped him before he hurt anyone, but it doesn’t sound nearly as dramatic when you read the details. It sounds like a lone crazy guy who wasn’t particularly smart getting caught before he does something serious. The SLPC article only makes him sound bad by comparing him to a more organized group from 30 years ago. I’d wager THAT is why it’s not getting bigger play: when you look at the details, he doesn’t seem as threatening so much as delusional…and in a week with stories they can spin into more scandal, fear and Kardashians, he just doesn’t play well on entertainment news.

2 Likes

He seems like a kook, and a relatively incompetent kook, agreed. The point is that many of the Muslim “terrorists” that have been touted on national news (not just FOX) as grave dangers to the “Homeland” that have been heroically apprehended and proved the need for endless wars and clampdowns on civil rights are equally incompetent kooks that the FBI has cajoled into incriminating behavior/statements.

10 Likes

Masterful use of that graphic.

1 Like

Wait a minute Cory… you state “Talbot is a violent Christian fundamentalist” but I dont see anything in any of the cited sources that states that affiliation. Where did you find it?

1 Like

Your google-fu sucks, my friend.
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1113415

2 Likes

I would like to add myself to those asking for a citation on the claim that he was Christian. I am not a Christian, but I also don’t like sloppy reporting where that type of stuff is concerned. I agree that it is a natural assumption since 1) he was targeting Muslims, 2) he was a white supremacist, and 3) the vast majority (all?) such people i the past have been Christians, but to be fair we need a cite.

3 Likes

You’re thinking of the media’s loving embrace of domestic terrorist/Obama mentor Bill Ayers.

For those wanting a citation on the christian claim… it’s pretty easy to deduce from his comments.

“That is exactly what I will have my men do during the heist. Same goes with the Muslims. Mosques are to be a blast! With three of my guys with FA [full automatic] AK’s [AK-47 semi-automatic rifles], we will send that white house worthless piece of dirt and his Muslim brotherhood a message they will never forget.”

Talbot created his American Insurgent Movement Facebook page. He went on to describe AIM as “a Pre-Constitutionalist Community that offers those who seek True patriotism and are looking for absolute Freedom by doing the Will of God.”

“We always will be recruiting. …You will be giving your life for a greater nation restoring liberty and the Lord himself.”

Not the words of an atheist, that’s for sure.

Texas + muslim hate + godwank = probably christian

He also had a 6-page manifesto that we aren’t privy to.

6 Likes

Your reading comprehension sucks, as the link explicitly states it’s not vetted by CNN. It’s just something that some person (perhaps you?) posted on CNN’s citizens’ journalism site. It is not part of the CNN news site.

2 Likes

not a peep on CNN’s web site.

Is cnn.com not cnn’s website?

Now you’re shifting the goalposts to “CNN news site” - your honesty sucks.

1 Like

Wanted for questioning:

They might be about to, um, give someone a disapproving look!

I’m with some of the other folks. I don’t see any mention, anywhere other than BoingBoing, that the guy was some kind of Christian terrorist.

And honestly? If you’re basing this on his wanting to murder people in a mosque, I think even the tolerant, progressive crowd on Boing Boing proves, on a regular basis, that it’s completely possible to hate religious people without having any religious convictions whatsoever.

Come to that, one of the most Muslim-hating bigots I’ve ever known was a libertarian-leaning, obnoxiously loud atheist. How’d I know he was atheist? Oh, I made the mistake of telling him I was taking my kids to church once. I got yelled at for being a hateful bigot and for brainwashing my kids.

Yep, he’s white, from Texas, and wants to kill the Mooslims. Must be Christian! Just like every woman in a hijab is a terror suspect, right?

Really, this guy sounds like he’s been drinking the Alex Jones Kool-Aid by the gallon.

1 Like

Do you really think for a second the same courtesy would be extended to anyone with brown skin from a predominantly Muslim country who had an anti-Christian terror plot?

Did you read @teapot 's quotes above where this guy talks about God? Do they check out?

I’m perfectly content with the assumption that the guy is Christian, and find the hand-wringing about it in this thread a little on the nose.

5 Likes