White SC cops pull black passenger out of car, take turns publicly cavity-searching him

Most every time, I am pro-union. Except police unions. I want them broken up with extreme prejudice.

8 Likes

Make no mistake, the horrifying events in this story have no place in a civilized democracy, but the rhetoric of the dude advocating shooting police as a reasoned solution sounds exactly like the peasant from Holy Grail.

Deplorable behavior like this isnā€™t going to change until officers of the law have some REAL accountability for their actions; jail time in gen pop, and gutting their pensions.

As long as they keep being ā€œinvestigatedā€ by their own people, going to trials that are just for show, then getting only a slap on the wrist at best, nothing is going to get any better.

4 Likes

Sounds like someone justifiably furious to me.

2 Likes

Explain how shooting cops will make things better.

Explain how you think a civilized society will realistically function without laws or police to enforce those laws, because that is the kind of ā€œlaw of the jungleā€ that Libertarians espouse.

And if youā€™re going to talk about how evil the police are, perhaps you shouldnā€™t use Lenin as a profile picture ā€“ Iā€™m not anti-communist, I think a lot of what Marx said is pretty reasonable, but the Soviet Union was a police state.

You know what scares me the most?

Our reaction SHOULD be ā€˜Holy crap! How do these freaks keep sneaking into the police force? Do they have NO psych screens?ā€™

The fact that it isnā€™t kind of horrible.

4 Likes

Tell Aiken PD what you think here:

2 Likes

That goes some (long) way to ensuring bad cops canā€™t be gotten rid of, certainly. (Locally, a police officer who tweeted some really inappropriate stuff got fired - and then reinstated, thanks to his union.) Even strong police unions canā€™t give immunity to crimes though, and this was a crime.

If I was ever a cop (sorta wanted to be at one point) yā€™all could smuggle whatever you want up your ass. It would have been safe from me. You could have even looked me in the eye and said you had the Hope diamond up there, and Iā€™d be like, ā€œWellā€¦ itā€™s yours now. Youā€™ve earned it.ā€

They couldnā€™t pay me enough to deal with that shit.

9 Likes

I can respect that. :slight_smile:

Thereā€™s a psychological testing process thatā€™s falling down on the job here, isnā€™t there?

When did our police force become psychological outliers with guns and impulse control problems?

Fun fact: it is possible to be justifiably furious without advocating random murder!

1 Like

Violence is a neccesary component of a revolutionary praxis. Franz Fanon prettymuch nailed it in his essay On Violence, itā€™s through viloent struggle that the colonised person not only throws off the opressor but finds thelselves.

Explain how civilised society can exist while also practicing barbaric violence both domestically and throughout the world on the whims and in the interests of capital. ā€˜Civilisedā€™ society is impossible as long as a tiny minority are able to maintain control of the means of production, control which is maintained through the creation and enforcment of laws. Libertarians donā€™t want no police they just want to own the police, their dream has already been realised itā€™s just that they donā€™t see it because in their Randian fever dream they get to be the protagonist instead of an extra.

1 Like

Actually, Iā€™d find this story more surprising if it was from China or Russia.

Murdering political opponents? Thatā€™s a Russian thing. Police sodomising random black people? Thatā€™s a South Carolina thing.

The Confederacy never went away.

6 Likes

Wrong thread. Doh.

Wrong thread.

1 Like

Didnā€™t say I thought his plan was the best plan. I just think that comparing someone to a Monty Python character, in other words, calling them silly, seems overly dismissive when they have extremely legitimate grievances.

ETA: Heā€™s still here commenting. Iā€™m not letting myself be drawn any further in. Cheers.

1 Like

Itā€™s a job that appeals to a small group of people. Authoritarianism is overrepresented.

Maybe we can draft police from the general population.

Then I bet our tackling bears and non lethal weapons and body armor that works would become a national priority.

I also think people have a right to be policed by members of their community, and no one else. You need to live in the neighborhoods you are policing.

Or you donā€™t belong there as police. You are unqualified.

6 Likes

And violent revolutions almost always lead to a police state: Russia, China, Cuba, Cambodia, etc.-- itā€™s not like a police state is somehow better because itā€™s leftist. We still have the ability to address police brutality through the courts and through the legislature, if the day comes when we cannot, then itā€™s reasonable to discuss violence.

If the argument is that ā€œcops are bad because they uphold the status quoā€ then the problem isnā€™t police, itā€™s the status quo, because if the status quo conformed to your ideals, you would still need laws and police to maintain that new and preferable status quo.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a ton of research that says that basically is the only way weā€™re not batshit crazy, and if you dig into the literature our few remaining peaceful civilizations thatā€™s a huge trend towards systems where people feel like theyā€™re only really influenced by a tiny number of others. Being in a country of several hundred million or having one of them control your our lives is going to leave everyone a little crazy.

When you donā€™t trust the motivations of the people who design the laws that influence and control you, youā€™re going to be a little annoyed, Itā€™s no wonder weā€™re all set at each otherā€™s throats.

4 Likes

Bullshit. If 75% of complaints came from other cops, as, you stated before (from a figure you pulled out of your ass) the bad cops would be gone. They are NOT ā€œmore pissed than we areā€, what fucking world do you live in? Talk to a cop about the murders or corruption that other cops commit and they will immediately become defensive. All of them.

2 Likes