"White supremacy acquitted Zimmerman"

I said Europe is different not less an issue.

The first 2 cops on the scene looked at Zimmerman and saw a white guy.

The first two cops on the scene saw a white dude.

6 Likes

Oh good lord. The only eye witness to the actual altercation said that Martin was on top of Zimmerman. Are you telling me that you know Zimmerman well enough – or even think it plausible – that he would not have used his weapon if Martin had been white?

4 Likes

I think NickyG is saying that Zimmerman would not have disregarded instructions from a police officer, gotten out of his car, then followed and confronted Martin if Martin had been white.

6 Likes

What’s up with this line from the quote?

We reject the white supremacist capitalist system that entices us to
profit from a black person’s tragic death.

It feels like the kind of thing a 1970s Black Panther would say. It implies that anyone who participates in the mainstream economy is complicit in oppression. Or are they just saying that in this particular case it’s not right to sell the product? I can kinda get behind that but why put it in such a confrontational tone. It reads like “How dare you try to give me your money you swine!” Why not sell it and donate the proceeds to fund legal defense for at risk youths?

1 Like

Exactly.

1 Like

According to the evidence presented at trial he was within the law to shoot Martin dead. I would have done the same thing in his position.

It’s funny how everyone always praises the concept of “innocent until proven guilty” and our system of laws until a trial doesn’t turn out the way they think it should.

4 Likes

What, exactly, does “like me” mean?

“Willfully ignorant dunderheads”

2 Likes

I’m sure black people everywhere love it when you tell them what tone they should use when discussing issues that are, to them, matters of life and death.

9 Likes

Your steadfast refusal to consider anything other than “evidence presented at trial” is highly revealing.

3 Likes

The case may not be about race, but the shooting sure was.

8 Likes

Amazingly Europe and America have different demographic make-ups and different histories. It’s wild, I know. Here in the States, we’ve got a rather thorough genocide of First Peoples in our history, and a centuries-long enslavement of people of African descent that led into a century+ of the civil rights of people fitting that description being explicitly reduced by the law. In Europe your have an attempted genocide of Jewish people, and a resultant diaspora, as well as a centuries-old and ongoing blanket contempt for the Roma. You also have a westward migration of Europeans of different heritages from less affluent to more affluent countries leading to class-based contempt that doesn’t fall exactly along racial lines (Polish people are “the Mexicans” of the UK in many respects). Also, the history of European colonialism means that the toxic fallout of your abuses of black people conveniently remain a continent away where you don’t have to deal with them.

America’s racial fallout is in its own backyard, which leads to understandably more touchiness on the issue. Europeans can chuckle at our quaint political correctness or whatever (while making monkey noises at football games, or taking a rhetorical shit on Romas), I guess, but there are certainly class/race problems over there, too.

8 Likes

A Hispanic person doesn’t need to “turn” white (or black, or brown), they can simply “be” white (or black or brown). Or are you some weird Victorian-era bigot who also thinks Greeks and Italians don’t count as white?

2 Likes

Sorry but,I’m done with being blamed for every racial problem in this country.

Say what now?

Who’s blaming YOU for “every racial problem in this country”?

White supremacy is an abusive system, not a person. And even if it was the latter, what’s with the paranoid assumption that the racist abuser is you?

Oh how I love it (okay, I don’t) when white folks take any pointing-out of racism as a personal attack on themselves as individuals. Where DOES that paranoia come from??

8 Likes

Sorry, didn’t realize that the distribution method chosen for a shirt was a life or death matter. To put a clearer point on what I meant: I think it is a incorrect to describe the capitalist system in America as white supremacist.

4 Likes

I love this comment. I get pretty tired of taking shit from Europeans about how silly and PC we are when it comes to race relations. We’re not perfect, but we’re trying. A few generations of awkward PC attitudes is a small price to pay for eventual harmony among our people.

2 Likes

I think that just throwing one’s hands up over an injustice because “that’s the law” strikes some people as troubling. And that you’d say this case isn’t about race strikes me as disingenuous.

4 Likes

It’s all stemming from a high level of narcissism, everything’s always about me because who else could it possibly be about?

4 Likes

Nice shift of topic there.

I’m not at all surprised that you think America is no longer a white supremacist culture and society. Most white Americans suffer from that very same delusion, and many non-white ones do too.

It doesn’t have to declare itself a white supremacist nation (as it used to do) for that to still be true.

4 Likes