White woman points gun at Black Amazon driver

Originally published at: White woman points gun at Black Amazon driver | Boing Boing

10 Likes

“An armed society is a polite society.”
—Fucking Dipshits

49 Likes

that’s a lot of privilege

24 Likes

Hopefully something will be done about it.

4 Likes

A real white privilege’palooza going down.

17 Likes

But that always really meant “You’ll be real polite to me when I’m threatening you with a gun, won’t you?”
Gun-fondler fantasies are always asymmetrical - that they’re armed and no one else is.

17 Likes

Is there a link that doesn’t require me to sign in?

ETA: Here’s one, albeit with heavy-handed commentary.

12 Likes

She should be put on a no-delivery list. Want your packages? You gotta drive to your local post office to pick them up.

26 Likes

Nope. Don’t want that person coming into the post office. She can pick them up at the nearest Amazon warehouse. But seriously, if I were Amazon, I would cancel her Amazon account.

20 Likes

ReleaseTheKaren

(Or lock it up.)

16 Likes

I’ve already imagined that as everyday life is a constant Mexican standoff. Everybody is polite on the surface but it’s pure terror underneath. An actual dystopia.

I thought it was like “pull yourself up by your bootstraps”, one of those sayings where the original meaning was lost to time and now people use it without realizing that it’s meant to represent a terrible system that nobody in their right mind would want.

7 Likes

That’s pretty much the setting of the Heinlein novel that the quote comes from. For a guy who was essentially pro-fascism he often danced around the edges of self-awareness without ever quite making it.

8 Likes

giphy

9 Likes

The reality is that when everyone is armed, the survivors aren’t those who are right or even those who are most skilled; it’s those with the least impulse control. Is that a recipe for a successful society? No, no it’s not.

18 Likes

[Snow Crash spoiler]

15 Likes

This reminds me of a story. When I was in my teens, I had an older friend who’d worked the night shift at a psych ward (ala, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest). He told me about this one patient who smoked cigarettes. There were only a few times a day they could go out and smoke.
This patient also thought everyone else there was a deadly vampire.
When the announcement would come on the loud speaker that patients could go outside and smoke, this patient would open the door to his room where he spent all of his time, and thrust a cross made of rolled up napkins out the door. He would hold it in front of him the whole time as he walked outside, then have his cigarette. Same thing on the return, backing into his room, pulling his cross in last then closing the door.
The imagery made me laugh, I thought it was funny. But my friend said, “think of the world that guy lives in. How frightening and dark and scary it must be.”
I’m not assuming any kind of mental illness, or excusing this lady’s behavior, but I see that video and I think what a sad and scary and dark world it must be that she lives in.
It sucks that so much of what’s on Fox and similar venues are just stoking this irrational fear. They’re ruining people’s lives.
But she’s made her choices. I agree with others that she should be put on the no delivery list. Thank dog she hasn’t killed anyone.

16 Likes

How about putting her on the no gun list, then she can believe whatever she wants.

13 Likes

Gawd, if only! So far only a handful of states even have red flag laws. It’s shitty.

Barring being able to take away her guns, I think keeping delivery people out of harm’s way might be the best that can be done as of right now.

7 Likes

It’s not even necessarily about poor impulse control. When people are armed, every time there’s some minor altercation, you get a sort of “prisoner’s dilemma,” where each participant in the altercation is an armed threat to the other, so it’s “rational” for each of them to shoot first. Unlike with the normal “prisoner’s dilemma,” if you wait to take action, you don’t go to jail, you get murdered, so the stakes are even higher.

Over the years I’ve read so many news reports of minor traffic accidents that resulted in death because the drivers ended up both being armed (and afraid). And that’s the thing - the armed society isn’t polite, it’s afraid, which is very, very different. It only seems polite if you’re the only one with a gun.

14 Likes

For any youtube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swpTIHSzFLE

add “nsfw” after “youtube”

6 Likes