Who doesn't love Avery Brooks?

Yeah, you can see Colm Meany visibly bristling in a few scenes in that episode (and later in The Wounded, the way he responds to Maxwell saying O’Brien had kissed the Blarney Stone feels like it cuts off a second or two before he’d say fuck off if someone said that in real life). And he thankfully had the power to change some stories in DS9 that would have had stereotypical Oirish elements - most notably the original draft of If Wishes Were Horses in series 1 had O’Brien and Molly encounter a Leprechaun but they changed it to Rumplestiltskin after Meany complained.

4 Likes

There are rumors that the subsequent irritation of the writers was responsible in part for the many subsequent “Let’s Torture the Irishman” episodes. But I expect annoyed writers seeking to exact revenge might employ other tactics.

2 Likes

That doesn’t even make sense. Leprechauns don’t steal firstborn children, why would his character be terrified of them?

4 Likes

Yeah. but at the same time Colm Meany is a great actor and eternal angst is a standard feature of Irish drama, so I can’ imagine he had a problem with being the focus of episodes like Hard Time

Oh, absolutely. I’ve never heard anybody else so amazing when they really get into it. He can enunciate so well while talking so quickly, its amazing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.