Who is Lord of the Rings: Gollum for?

Originally published at: Who is Lord of the Rings: Gollum for? | Boing Boing

5 Likes

The YouTube comments are gold.

Listen y’all, The Hobbit was written in 1937, and I personally admire the developers for attempting to capture the same level of graphical power that was available in video games during that period of history.

I am a huge fan of the lord of the rings and this game makes me want to play hogwarts legacy even more.

I love how at the end, crawling into the purple bit was the climactic part

Gollum is definitely a character I wanted to play as most and not literally anyone else in Middle-Earth.

16 Likes

Those comments were obviously written by Hobbitses!

13 Likes

What about second commentses?

20 Likes

If it weren’t for those last two words.

Uh, I don’t get it.

2 Likes

Was the thread title meant to evoke Gollum’s traditional speech pattern, Gollum?

2 Likes

If it weren’t for the last two words, I would have read the intent as, “I’m a huge fan of LOTR, but this game makes me want to play that vile piece of trash hogwarts legacy.” But it didn’t say that, of course, and the last two words make it clear that isn’t the intent.

2 Likes

Gotcha.

I was just doing a dumb Gollum impression :grin:

6 Likes

Nah, it was a great impression! :smile:

5 Likes

A Thief-style stealth game set in LotR where you play Gollum… it’s not a terrible idea. (All of the LotR games leave me a bit cold, to be honest.) I suspect a big problem is that first impressions take a hit independent of gameplay, as they’re trying to render a character that was already high-end CGI in real-time (non-AAA) CGI, and it’s going to suffer in comparison.

5 Likes

I can see the appeal, needing to sneak around a dangerous world full of monsters who are bigger and more powerful than you. If the gameplay focuses on puzzle solving, story, and being crafty, it could work. (Not that I’m ever going to wind up playing this, though.)

3 Likes

Isn’t that “Styx: Master of Shadows”?

8 Likes

After that Grimace music video I’m not sure I want to find out who really wants to play this game.

3 Likes

If this leads to a surrealist sequel where the player is Tom Bombadil, I’m all in.

10 Likes

Yeah, more or less - and though Styx was a “7 out of 10” game in reviews, it did well enough that it was the second of (so far) three games, which indicates the basic idea has appeal. The license probably forces the Gollum version to have a smaller set of abilities, and maybe creates a set of conflicting expectations, but the basic game mechanics are certainly solid and commercially proven.

3 Likes

A rhythm game, I hope.

1 Like

Tolkien writes that Gollum would occasionally catch goblins unaware and throttle them. Defenseless he is not.

3 Likes

Or Treebeard the Ent. Finally a game even more tedious than cricket.

6 Likes

It may be overly long, and tedious, but every century or two, cricket does produce a bit of excitement; like the 1981 Underarm Bowling Scandal. Just look at the heart pumping excitement!

4 Likes