Who knew Indiana Jones would look this good in black & white?

Originally published at: Who knew Indiana Jones would look this good in black & white? | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Who knew Indiana Jones would look this good in black & white?

Practically any cinematography fan, ever.

16 Likes

Both of them.

13 Likes

Steven Soderbergh used to(?) have it on his web site, black and white, silent, and with not exactly library music but something like that. His point was it was the best staged film you would see this year. And that it was so well shot you didn’t even need the dialogue. I only watched it for a lunchtime in work but he was right.

Spielberg’s a genius (and the ideas session where he and Lucas came up with Indy blows my mind as I can’t imagine being able to think like them. I admire it so much.)

15 Likes

I wonder if SECRET OF THE INCAS, with the Ur-Indy Harry Steele, looked better in B&W.

3 Likes

This is one of the very best Pitch Meetings and that’s saying a lot!

3 Likes

It absolutely blows my mind that this website is helping to memory-hole Soderbergh on this topic, when he brought it to everyone in 2014.

7 Likes

honestly, i think the new movie actually looks good – a return to form (not that i’ve seen it yet, of course).

5 Likes

this is quite weird

@orenwolf

1 Like

I think it’s pretty inconsistent. Some scenes look awesome, other scenes look somewhat fuzzy.
Obviously if the film were to be released in B&W, Spielberg and collaborators would exercise more quality control.

Reminiscent of Jean Renoir’s mis-en-scène.

4 Likes

OK, I’ll bite, the original and which other one?

I don’t begrudge an attempt to give Indy a better send-off than Crystal Skull.

My random prediction: Marian is dead when the movie starts, but Indy uses the Dial to change history and bring her back to life at the end.

3 Likes

Now I look forward to ROTLA’s asciimation.

1 Like

The original and Crusade are the good ones. They’ve got all the classic moments of the series that people remember, the strongest writing and characterization, and are just a pleasure to watch.

3 Likes

I’m not a big fan of Temple of Doom myself, but on the one criterion of classic moments people remember, I think it scores a few.

4 Likes

In the 90’s I had a B&W TV that I found in the rubbish. I was often horrified with how lurid familiar shows were when I saw them on a colour TV.

2 Likes

Weirdly, even though I watched in black and white, I knew that Frank Canon’s Lincoln Continental was green… even though, it turns out, it wasn’t.

5 Likes

I was taken to see it at the cinema as a birthday treat so I am a little positively biased. It’s still fun, even if it isn’t amazing.

4 Likes

The summary of the linked video in the post is a little misleading. The video is actually an analysis of Soderbergh’s video, explaining how it shows off how good the blocking and staging is. It doesn’t mention how showing it in black and white would make it more like the serials it was inspired by, or really talk at all about the black and white aesthetic. It’s just about using it as a tool for analyzing the film.

4 Likes

Black and white can make things look too dark or too pale, so sets, costumes and even make-up for black and white films often used false colours that would come out as the right shade.

1 Like

Schitts Creek Girl GIF by CBC

It wasn’t for my birthday, but I saw it in the theater as a kid, and loved it…

2 Likes