Who makes the clips that keep bread bags closed?

“Most of the world” = USA apparently

Trumps overblown rhetorics stems from the same root.

I have yet to open one of these successfully

3 Likes

Best description of a twist tie, ever.

14 Likes

I reuse those babies all the time!

:relieved:

3 Likes

Sometimes seen in the US, on some fancy breads, baked and packaged in the supermarket, have one-use tapes. I slice them off and use a plastic clip. (I keep a can of them in a cupboard, along with twist ties.)

1 Like

Since the Atlas Obscura does not reference them, here is some more information about Occlupanids, and their taxonomy, and their incredible diversity.

http://www.horg.com/horg/?page_id=2

12 Likes

Slightly off topic, but your mention of flying bread clips reminds me of Lucky Beer pull tabs from eons ago…

So let me illustrate for those who may be unawares.

5 Likes

Yeah. I remember doing this all the time. Served us well on the battlefield (playground) when we ran out of clicky ball-point pens converted into projectile launchers.

5 Likes

Or a bag of peanuts that can’t be finished all at once.

3 Likes

I’m glad I know who makes these horrible things. They always tear the bag. I prefer wooden clothes pins for my bread sealing needs and for bags of chips. Also reusable and they don’t tear through the flimsy bag.

1 Like

The reason Kwik Lok has a near monopoly is that they sue the hell out of anyone who tries to compete. Schutte (from Amsterdam) started a big push to enter several markets (France, Italy, Germany) in 2012. They also tried to sneak into the US, the two companies have been filing suits and countersuits against one another, the last major decision (last year) found against Kwik Lok but they’ve appealed. I think what will likely happen is that Schutte will succeed in breaking KL’s lock on the US market and invalidating their trademark, and then both companies will be destroyed by a Chinese competitor.

6 Likes

Me too. I wonder why (and when!) we stopped.

Bakeries rotate through the colors of bag closure devices (twist ties & bread clips) on different days.

The colors give the shelf-stockers a quick way to identify different lots for presentation (oldest bread forward) and to spot expired product for culling.

They’re also useful for folks like me (I take a week+ to use a loaf) to find long-dated bread among its older shelfmates.

2 Likes

At the risk of confusing non-Canadians, or even non-Ontario-ins (-ites?), I’d like to point out these are also used on the outer bag of bagged milk.

Also, I confirm they make great finger-flicking projectiles when snapped in half.

This site suggest many options for re-use.

3 Likes

We keep small paper binding clips on the fridge with magnets for closing bags of all sorts rather than screw with the ties or other closers. 8 for $1.

1 Like

The bread clips seem to be used mostly by supermarkets for their mass-produced breads, which need an expiry date because they sit on the shelf for days. Decent bakeries tend to use twist ties.

At home, we use these:

$2.99 for a bag of clips that seal better than anything else, and that can be reused for decades (and counting).

4 Likes

Oh my, that is deep

1 Like

GTFO that’s fake news right there - can’t be finished all at once?!

1 Like

Proof that there’s a website for everything.

2 Likes

This type of ring-pull was standard on all beverage cans when I was growing up. We’d gather pockets-full and flick the spinning ring up into the projection light at the local movie theatre. They looked cool.

3 Likes