Who will Gov. Christie pick as scapegoats for the George Washington Bridge lane closures?

Republicans still blaming their “reckless youth” these days?

Christie and his shtick doesn’t stand a chance west of the Appalachians anyway, just like Guiliani. What frustrates me about the coverage of story is that the corrupt nature of the Port Authority of NY & NJ gets completely overlooked as governors get to dump their cronies there for high paying poorly defined jobs. The PA the 800 lb gorilla around here, and no one reigns them in. Go billions over budget building a completely unnecessary 1776 ft office building that they shouldn’t be in the business of building anyway? We’ll just jack up the tolls and mass transit costs for NJ commuters! Why? Because we’re a monopoly!

The only reason they even built the WTC to begin with was that they were swimming in so much toll cash by the early 60’s that the states were going to take it from them for mass transit if they didn’t find a way to spend it. So them expanding their empire cost the area dearly in terms of expansion and maintenance of the then very antiquated transit system. This agency needs to be broken up like Ma Bell.

2 Likes

You snark, but I saw someone somewhere on a article about needing a minimum wage so that Wal-Mart couldn’t foist the expense of keeping employees alive (I paraphrase) onto the public purse - they said this was a great argument for smaller government. Presumably the argument goes this way; government stops providing any kind of help, and Wal-Mart has to raise wages once its staff start dying?

1 Like

I doubt Walmart would suddenly be lacking in applications:

In just two weeks, Walmart will open its first stores in the District of Columbia. […] The stores will hire a combined 600 associates after combing through the more 23,000 applications its received from potential employees.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

People would be more skeptical about this story except it is exactly in character for CC. The only thing missing is a fresh video of him screaming into the face of a female teacher while his wife leers in the background.

The image is just okay, but a nice image of Christie in a robe holding a staff bellowing “You shall not pass” would be better.

Unfortunately I see people argue that these application rates mean that working at Walmart must be great. Because why else would people be applying there?!

I’d bet everything I own that any apology is a complete non-apology that specifically includes the phrase “mistakes were made”.

1 Like

Because they’re so desperate it’s a choice between working at Walmart and working the streets? Which isn’t much of a viable option for seniors who SHOULD be enjoying their hard-earned retirement instead of standing on their feet for hours at a time saying “Welcome to Walmart” like a broken record.

But no, of course you’re right: applying for any job means 100% approval of the corporate overlord. Of course it does.

Please fix that first sentence, it’s damaging my eyeballs and I can’t stop looking at it:
"–neither the head of the Port Authority was told about the closure. "
nor who else??? Or maybe there are two heads at Port Authority, in which case delete ‘the’.

1 Like

One thing has bothered me about this story since it was first broken. The purpose of the lane closing was supposedly to punish the Mayor of Fort Lee for not endorsing Chris Christie. Doesn’t this require that it be made explicit to the Mayor of Fort Lee that this is why the lanes were closed? Yet is seems any evidence of this is deeply buried.

Just to be clear, I do not think that working at Walmart is a great option (although I applied there because I really need a job … and I got turned down).

Also, I noticed that Walmart has gotten rid of their greeters. I also read that Walmart has cut down on their number of employees recently so much that customers are starting to complain about things not being restocked properly.

Sorry…my sense of humor doesn’t always translate over the intertoobs. You and I, we’re walking side-by-side on this issue.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.