Whole Foods offering the Passover Ham

It is indeed the picture for their “Easter Feast for 12”; and also includes in the photo a Quiche Lorraine.

10 Likes

Pop Tv Reaction GIF by Schitt's Creek

7 Likes

4 Likes

“OKAY! We’re sorry. Forgive us for thinking of you. Fine, forget the ham. Here are some delicious shrimp platters. Happy?”

7 Likes

Possibly their best song?

2 Likes

I had the feeling that they probably broke a few more rules, like chicken and egg, or something.

2 Likes

5 Likes

From the historically Jewy corner of 3rd & Fairfax:

Jews can’t live on cake meal alone!

3 Likes

At an old place of employment, the vending machine had a ham-and-cheese bagel for sale.

3 Likes

Uhh… I know people back east who observe Passover and eat ham. I’m just telling you what I’ve personally observed, so, please… no pedantry.

2 Likes

Heck, I don’t keep kosher at all, but I do respect Passover traditions and and wouldn’t think of serving leavened bread at a Seder, much less a specifically forbidden food. That’s not pedantry.

5 Likes

Do they do it simultaneously though? I know “culturally Jewish” people that don’t keep kosher but do observe holidays and rituals, but none of them would eat ham for Seder

3 Likes

Based on what I’ve experienced (my mom’s side of the family), never.

I was attempting to head off any pedantry re a person being an observant Jew, observing Passover, yet eating ham, that is, I didn’t want to have to waste my time here having to contend with some silly “But how can that be?” response. As with Catholicism (which I was brought up under), what’s actually observed or not is very fluid, and ‘rule books’ are effectively menus.

2 Likes

It’s OK if they’re steamed hams.

3 Likes

In the Feaster season as with Festivus we can only eat fowl with webbed feet so there is no pheasantry.

2 Likes

I’ve ate Passover meals of course ham is a very bad choice but…

And I’m no religious expert and I base this on my Catholic upbringing.

Holy Thursday, the Thursday before Easter Sunday, was always called the Last Super, it was the celebration (not sure celebrate is the right word) of Jesus’ last meal.

Jesus was participating in a Passover meal so us Catholics called that Thursday Passover.

I haven’t been to a Catholic Holy Week service in quite some time but I’ve noticed Catholic church signs are now calling it Maundy Thursday so maybe after decades they finally figured it out but not everyone is on board yet.

Growing up, we went to church Thursday evening, after mass or during mass the altar area was completely emptied of everything that wasn’t nailed down leaving only the crusifx. We would go to grandma’s house for a big meal afterwards. The Catholics were still calling it Passover when I was a kid.

Then we would spend 3 hours in church on Good Friday followed by a meatless meal at grandma’s house again.

Holy Saturday was the day we took Easter Baskets filled with the food we would eat on Easter Sunday morning to church to be bleesed.

Us Catholics had lots of symbols.

So who knows what the grocery store marketing people were up to but maybe if they’re going to have religious specials run the ad copy past some religious types or leave religion out of it. But in their defense Passover has been used around Easter by Catholics and us Catholics love us some ham.

Whole Foods does have traditional Passover recipes that don’t include ham.

(edit) And after I typed all of that it appears it may have been as simple or as dumb as just reusing a photo in the wrong spot.

2 Likes

what-is-wrong-with-you-gif-11

NeatBouncyDevilfish-size_restricted

2 Likes

Phank you.

so this is a passover meal for non-jews?

ok

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.