Why are doughnut boxes usually pink?

Are you sure that you didn’t live somewhere near the Grand Budapest Hotel?

16 Likes

And the Sporting Green, which was actually green.

They also had the best rating system. Until I was about 14, I thought movies were either rated as “Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down” or by the little man.

12 Likes

I had completely forgotten about that. What a wonderful way of communicating a typical 0-5 star rating.

6 Likes

I remember both of those things.
Since we’re slightly off topic - there was a time when the WSJ used to publish the NYSE listings this way - If you opened the very back page of the paper, that was the FIRST page of the stock listings and it went backwards from there.
That way one always knew where it would be, no matter how the rest of content was organized. Some guy in a suit would get on the subway, sit down and could flip right there.

2 Likes

i’m 47… and fat… and i ain’t had a pink donut box

5 Likes

I thought those came in buckets.

3 Likes

No pink donut boxes in the midwest.

Shout out to my favorite donut ever, specifically the apple fritter, made by a 3rd generation baker.

And the box is rad too!

11 Likes

This is true. I was born and raised in the Midwest, and never knew donut boxes were supposed to be pink. [quote=“vonbobo, post:27, topic:101635”]
And the box is rad too!
[/quote]

I’m glad I’m not the box designer’s psychotherapist.

10 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a pink doughnut box in the northeast.

6 Likes

6 Likes

Nope, can’t recall ever seeing that box. If I ever got anything from Dunkin’ it was someone bringing Munchkins to a party. We had a local shop that was far superior.

2 Likes

I’m sure there were other colors as well, but the only bakers’ boxes (like for cakes and not just donuts) I remember from the '60s, '70s, and '80s were pink pasteboard, often with a string. That was in LA, DC, NY, and FL. I don’t really go to donut shops anymore, the last time was probably 10 or 15 years ago.

That was LA, DC, NY, and FL.

I’ve eaten a great many donuts in Southern California, and while the chains (Winchell’s, Krispy Kreme, etc.) don’t follow this convention, the independent Cambodian and Vietnamese stores almost invariably do. And their donuts are also quite remarkably consistent in quality. I still like 'em better than Krispy Kreme, and WAY better than Winchell’s.

3 Likes

Seattle’s Mighty-O:

5 Likes

Here in fly-over country deep southern Illinois donut boxes are white. Our “real Men” police consumers would look silly munching their gut-bombs out of a pink box. If you go to a really up-scale donut joint the tape that seals the box might have the business name on it. No wonder people fly over this place. At times I think I can hear the jet engines pick up speed just to get past quicker.

3 Likes

In Tijuana, it’s paper bags.

Boxes? We ain’t got no boxes. We don’t need no boxes! I don’t have to show you any stinkin’ boxes!

8 Likes

The article seemed to suggest that it was a regional/temporal thing (i.e. California, especially Southern, after the '70s), and a matter of becoming more common rather than universally true.

1 Like

Yes, the memory … Baltimore in the 50’s … Silber’s Bakery, white boxes with a string around it.Loved the coffee cake that had chocolate in it.

2 Likes

The Cambodian doughnut shop network is strong in Texas. While roughly 80% of donut shops in the Los Angeles area are owned by Cambodian Americans, in Houston, Texas, the number is over 90%. We never had the pink boxes.

2 Likes

I am skeptical of at least part of this story. I grew up in California and I can tell you as a primary historical source that bakeries were routinely using pink boxes for cakes and pies well before the late 70s/early 80s.

It’s probably true that the boxes were used by doughnut shops because they were cheap, but I don’t think they were cheap because there was some leftover pink cardstock that a doughnut shop owner was wiling to settle for. I think pink bakery boxes were just easy to come by.

1 Like