Why are so many Car YouTubers starting over?

Originally published at: Why are so many Car YouTubers starting over? - Boing Boing

12 Likes

Are these private equity “geniuses” so ignorant of the media business that they didn’t take measures to lock in the talent before buying, or just so greedy that they didn’t want to pay them.

“Both” is probably the correct answer, as usual.

33 Likes

Not the first time i’ve seen this. SourceFed was a comedy/sketch/news channel that had a ton of really great talent about a decade ago and was initially owned by Discovery. Ownership soured on the channel and sold it off to someone else and all of the original talent left, they later tried to resurrect the channel with new folks but i was so livid that i unsubbed and never looked back.

6 Likes

Kamala Harris Reaction GIF by The Democrats

12 Likes

Happened across this the other night, and the interviewer asked the hard questions, including getting bought-out.

Jess is building her channel and eventually is looking for a buy-out and new opportunities. Question was how do you sell a property like Love And London without the creator & driving force? She IS the raison d’etre for that channel.

Her answer wasn’t so solid because she knows she’s the value in the deal, her participation needs to be ongoing, without her why? Her exit strategy isn’t exactly a sure thing.

Her channel is really good, she’s tried to enlist new hosts so she can be more off-camera but it isn’t working out so well. I appreciate how open the conversation is regarding the biz side of YouTube and various platforms.

Same thing - Elvira, Mistress Of The Dark tried to put younger women in the role and if I recall, that didn’t work out so well because she IS Elvira, it doesn’t click with anyone else.

There are plenty of ill-prepared dudes doing stealth camping videos, I only subscribe to Steve Wallis, fkn love that guy - but “Roundabout Camping with Jerry on the +IGN Network” just isn’t the same.

Anyways, god bless these folks for what they do, keep putting out the positive non-harm content, be authentic, be engaging, be yourself.

(kinda funny - when I’m in London, if I saw some BBC or Coronation Street celeb I wouldn’t have a clue… but run into Jess, Jago Hazzard or Geoff Marshall and I would be a puddle).

4 Likes

A similar thing happened with Geek and Sundry, right?

6 Likes

It’s the “Producers” method of private equity investing. Gather a bunch of equity, invest “most” of it into something that is growing, and the drive it into failure. That way, you don’t have to pay your investors any dividends.

• Leo Bloom: Let’s assume, just for the moment, that you are a dishonest man.
  • Max Bialystock: Assume away.
  • Leo Bloom: It’s very easy. You raise more money than you need.
  • Max Bialystock: What do you mean?
  • Leo Bloom: Well, you did it yourself, only you did it on a very small scale.
  • Max Bialystock: What did I do?
  • Leo Bloom: You raised $2,000 more than you needed to produce your last play.
  • Max Bialystock: So? What did it get me? I’m wearing a CARDBOARD BELT!
  • Leo Bloom: Well, that’s where you made your mistake: you didn’t go all the way. You see, if you were a truly bold criminal, you could’ve raised a million.
  • Max Bialystock: But the play cost me only $60,000 to produce!
  • Leo Bloom: And how long did it run?
  • Max Bialystock: One night.
  • Leo Bloom: You see? You see what I’m trying to tell you? You could’ve raised a million dollars, put on your $60,000 flop, and kept the rest.
  • Max Bialystock: But what if the play was a hit?
  • Leo Bloom: Well, then you’d go to jail. See, once the play’s a hit, you have to pay off all the backers, and with so many backers, there could never be enough profits to go around. Get it?
  • Max Bialystock: Uh-huh. A-ha! So, in order for this scheme to work, we’d have to find a sure-fire flop!
  • Leo Bloom: What scheme?
  • Max Bialystock: What scheme! YOUR scheme, you bloody little genius!
  • Leo Bloom: I meant no scheme. I merely posed a little academic accounting theory; it was just a thought.
  • Max Bialystock: Bloom, worlds are turned on such thoughts!
14 Likes

And of course, they strictly adhere to the two cardinal rules of producing.

5 Likes

A clip from the remake? Really?

10 Likes

…and Lewis, AKA Ringway Manchester, would en-swoon-ify me too, also. Love his sort of reportage re: weird Eastern European shortwave waterfall images and odd audio hackery, and numbers stations. He also digs trains.
Felix swoon

5 Likes

That’s not really a remake. It’s a musical film adaption of the stage musical adaption of the original film, which wasn’t a musical.

11 Likes

One big serving of Meh, that’s what it is.

6 Likes

When this happened to Cracked dot com we got a lot of really good stuff.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen the stage musical or its film adaptation. I know the stage musical was well regarded, and that film starred the original principles of the stage musical.

For awhile. Then it all went to shit. It’s a garbage site now.

4 Likes

No, I mean the stuff people did after they were fired or left.

5 Likes

It’s the only clip of the line I could find.

I agree that the movie version of the musical was meh … the director also did the play, and basically filmed it directly from stage to the screen with no real changes or editing.

I love both the original film with Mostel/Wilder and the Broadway musical with Lane/Broderick.

2 Likes

Oh, gotcha.

6 Likes

There are two other trends that are adjacent to this but not yet talked about;

1. Many real rednecks are going on Youtube and making fun of the car channels, and calling them out as fake trash. This is also something that is helping Democrats in the election. Many real rednecks called out JD Vance. Even 4 years ago the wealthy Republicans managed to hold together their narrative, but as access to being a Youtuber has become easier every year, more actual, real, people are stepping up. Actual mechanics, and people that live in deep rural states, calling out pretentious car Youtubers and rich populist Republicans.

2. A glut of these shows now. Few offer anything of interest. People like Hoovie regress back to being the slick used car salesperson you don’t want to hang around with. Or channels like Aging Wheels that randomly start projects that go nowhere, and get dropped. The medium has outgrown them.

-XiaSU
Gold age Cracked reminds me of this scene.

6 Likes

The order in which i saw The Producers. I saw the movie, quite liked it but didn’t love how some specific roles were cast but overall pretty fun!

Then i saw the stage play while i lived in Las Vegas, The Hoff was guest starring as the director within the play and overall it was amazing (yes, including The Hoff. He was a highlight tbh).

Then i saw the original movie, it was ok. Didn’t love it, didn’t hate it but out of everything i’d say the stage play was my fave.

Also lets please not yuck on other people’s yum. I myself have to check myself on turning up my nose on certain things

4 Likes