Why did some of the richest, most powerful people in the UK support Brexit?

Who? Is John Galt?

2 Likes

A greedy hypocrite who makes shitty steel in a thinly laminated doorstop?

5 Likes

but the actual referendum question was put before the British public thanks to a small faction of some of the richest, most powerful people in the country – people who rely on the finance sector (which overwhelmingly supported Remain) for their privilege. Why?

Because inbreeding creates mushy brains.

Look at their feisty pancake faces, little beady eyes and wobbly chins:

Coincidence? Don’t think so.

I prefer to think of him as a Scottish novelist who was friends with Lord Byron.

Why George Robertson?

No reason, I just picked one at random.

I have a short attention span, a longer search and I would have lost interest in posting.

1 Like

8 Likes

Murdoch won’t own May or Leadsom. He has to own at least one party leader or he throws his toys out of the pram. As David Cameron has found out.
Murdoch will get his way because, as the old joke says, Sun readers don’t care who runs the country so long as she gets her tits out. And as neither candidate is going to do that - they’ll be ripe for a revolution.

I am not so sure. Big parties cost big money. You don’t get rich by wasting money. UKIP was cheap and reached the 14% of the population that was necessary for Brexit. And the monkey may still be useful for something.

I can’t predict these people. The racist fringe seems to be doing exactly the same thing with referenda that they did eighty years ago, but everyone spotted that. Banker, when they don’t have a bona-fide hunch seem to favour the most testosterone-fuelled option, going for dodgy governments and high risks, even when boring Green option offer a better return. But it is them cunning buggers - I can only work out what they have done after they have done it. If you can do better, your country needs you, but they will probably kill your first.

The Sun readers deserve a front page with May and Leadsom getting their tits out. Thatcher too. Tough, but it might shock them out of that.

As for ‘ripe for revolution’ - Marx and Lenin and Engels all lived in London, and wrote us off as hopeless, and incapable of it. Not quite as dammning as Lenin’s “The Revolution is Switzerland will stop at the first ‘Keep off the Grass’ sign”, but harsh. And those guys knew their revolution.

If you really want to get your country back, you could start with Moloch^H^H^H^H^Hurdoch.

Keep the commons in fear of their jobs and their homes, and you have them. And, because it makes you feel big.

I was going to just use this phrase, but the Wiki is better then anything I am likely to pen on a Friday night

1 Like

most variants use Germany instead of Switzerland and sometimes attribute it to Stalin. another version (again attributed to Lenin and Stalin in slightly different wordings) is “if Germans wanted to storm a train station they would at first buy a platform ticket”.

1 Like

Thatcher’s big idea was to persuade the C1C2 classes that they did not want council houses but to buy their houses. They completely failed to spot that once they had a mortgage they could be evicted if they could not keep up the payments, and so could no longer afford to strike.

Lemmings don’t really line up and jump over cliffs, but lemming sociologists might think that the British working classes like to do precisely that.

2 Likes

I was going by Solzhenitsyn’s “Lenin in Zurich”, but I could be wrong. Our Aleksandr could write a good horse-slapping volume with the best of them, but he did have somewhat of an axe to grind with the status quo in the CCCP at the time.

1 Like

And the endless parade of old Etonian scum
Line the front benches so what is to be done?
All part of the same establishment
I ask you again what is to be done?

1 Like

Meanwhile, the remain side was backed by some of the richest, most powerful organisations on the planet. JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, and by the more right-wing of the tories and the likes of Blair.

The way I figure it, the scum see ordinary people as livestock; cattle.

They need to burn.

2 Likes

OK conspiracy theory time.

The referendum was held 23 Jun - peak of nationalistic football fervor - the voting masses. Also, just two weeks after the Queen’s 90th birthday celebrations. Nationalistic fervor.

2nd referendum - “nope - not gonna do it!” - despite more than 4m signatures. OK - that’s not 17m, but c’mon - debate it properly, parliament.

UN has now published a report saying - this is hearsay - the EU is damned to a death.

And it appears the idea of a snap General Election is being poo-pooed. By people quoting legalistic bureaucracy. But I can’t believe the 16m who voted Remain can be happy with that, along with all of the Leave camp.

Hello, democracy in the UK - calling! Are you there??! You’re not, are you?! You’ve gone on summer holidays!

Overall - I’m picking up a shift in intent towards the EU, and wondering if the powers that be in the UK determined the following: centrist policies are now worthless, that the EU is bust and corrupt, and come what may, the UK is better out. Then they arranged the most likely scenario for that to take effect.

Because, shit, we’re about to have Theresa May as unelected PM. How did this end up happening?!?!

2 Likes

[quote=“peregrinus_bis, post:37, topic:81135”]
Because, shit, we’re about to have Theresa May as unelected PM. How did this end up happening?!?[/quote]

It’s about Sovereignty. It’s about Freedom. It’s about Independence. It’s not about Democracy.

1 Like

I know, and I get it. My view was don’t hit eject yet, but inform the public and give 10 years to fix the issues.

Sovereignty I’m having an issue with. EDF (ElectricitĂ© de France) is what - the biggest power supplier in the UK? RATP (French) runs a huge proportion of London buses. Sovereignty is not as clear as in the days of cutlasses and pirates.

Freedom - yes, if the EU really is dragging the UK down. But is it? Or have UK politicians simply been abysmal at negotiating through the mire? Is it not deeply concerning that they can’t figure out how to get through the red tape? What’s wrong with them?

Independence. Hopefully, the EU needs the UK more than we need the EU.

But what I see around me is deep hypocrisy. Leave posters were in windows of houses being upgraded by East European workers. That’s just thick.

My feeling is that there was a deal of deliberation and wool-pulling. The public “voted” “democratically”, but heck, they were led there witlessly.

4 Likes

They want to return Britain to the age of Dickens. No wonder the Tory government won’t allow a do-over.

2 Likes