Why did some of the richest, most powerful people in the UK support Brexit?

But that was a key point that was pushed by many of the proponent of leave, that a lack of sovereignty and freedom was predicated on their inability to directly vote for the EU government, right?

Britons elect MPs. Europeans elect MEPs
Britons donā€™t elect the prime Minister, Europeans donā€™t elect the commissioner.
Britons donā€™t elect Whitehall. Europeans donā€™t elect Brussels.
I suppose you could argue that ā€œfirst past the postā€ represents some vital democratic principle, but it would be a weird argument.

Any attempt to make the European Commission more democratic would likely be met with howls of protest that this would infringe on sovereignty or whatnot.

Iā€™m talking less about the reality, and more about peopleā€™s perception, I guess? The perception is that sovereignty and freedom are directly tied to democracy (which may or may not be the case, of course). As you point out, no one directly elects the PM, they elect the party in power in the parliament, which is very similar to how the EU is run (am I correct there?). But the assumption is that the national government, elected by the majority is more democratically elected somehow when compared to the people in Brussels (who are appointed by the EU parliament, yes or no?). Although in reality, it looks like the same level of democratic participation, the perception is that itā€™s not the same level of democratic participationā€¦

So, Iā€™m saying that people feel when the vote for the governemnt on a national level, they feel itā€™s more democratic than it is, while Brussels feels less democratic (when itā€™s about the same amount of democracy).

I do find that those two terms, sovereignty and freedom, to be rather vague terms, when used in political speech. More so than democracy is. At least you can pin democracy down to a kind of practice, in general terms. Sovereignty and freedom are harder to define than that, I think.

1 Like

I looked up sovereignty today.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/sovereignty/

it didnā€™t help :wink:

2 Likes

This is pretty much where Iā€™m going with this:

Itā€™s either (a) politicians very surprised UK voted Leave - but then, thatā€™s in honesty a decision too important to leave to the whimsies of the masses (I mean, cā€™mon!); or (b) thereā€™s been some hacking of the roulette table to change the odds.

What struck me is that over the next 10-25 years, the UK will have a lot of economic volatility.

And in volatile times, fortunes are made. You can make money betting down as well as up.

Weā€™ve already seen Theresa May, kind of widely tipped over the last 5 years as a potential leader of the Conservatives, suddenly come into pole position. Political volatility too. Coming from this angle - who will best serve the interests of the power holders? Theresa seems to have stepped up.

Democracy isnā€™t necessarily about a highly informed public taking clear-minded decisions. It might be more about leading the dog to the right dish.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.